Blast cabinet liner

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

BadDog

Re: Blast cabinet liner

Post by BadDog »

Harold_V wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 3:39 pm Key words. How one uses their blasting equipment makes a huge difference in requirements.
Exactly.

RSG: The back wall cover would be a good idea, but my cabinet has an open grate on the bottom to place parts on, and an inverted pyramid type funnel below that to return the blast media to the hopper. What's below that grate gets the worst of it, particularly when working with smaller parts. So at a minimum it would need to be protecting the back wall and 4 sided funnel. But I'm pretty sure that paint on the other walls would be short lived just due to bounce back and other hits. And if that gets abraded away, then I'm right back into the "it will rust out even in Phoenix" territory. I think the only way I'm going to feel fairly confident about moving it outside is to paint it well, and then line the entire inside with something to protect the paint. Then only the grating will be at risk, but it's much heavier and would last longer than the sheet sides, and also easier/cheaper/quicker to replace (plus, nothing is going to protect that grate for long).
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
RSG

Re: Blast cabinet liner

Post by RSG »

Would thin sheets of aluminum work? You'd only need to trim them to fit down in the tapered walls.
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.