Shared air and electric line

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

jcfx

Re: Shared air and electric line

Post by jcfx »

WOW, when you said castle I thought it was a metaphor for just a plain old house.
It's very impressive, maybe we should call you your Ex- Grace since you no longer own it.
;)

I guess if I don't allow building inspectors in I could run an air line in tandem with electric.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Thanks for your description.
Wow!
~RN
BAdams

Post by BAdams »

Harold's old neighborhood now:
Harold Castle.jpg
Brook
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Looks like Harold got out just in time.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Shocking! The last time we saw the castle was in the year 2000. I was aware of the changes made, but had not seen how it looks.

When construction began on the castle (1979), the only structures that were near were to the right (in the picture).

We do NOT regret our decision to sell and move.

While it can't be seen in the picture, Little Cottonwood Creek is part of the property line --- it's the creek that originates in Little Cottonwood Canyon, better known to skiers as Alta. It is in the center of the heavily wooded area behind, and to the right (in the picture) of the castle. It makes a loop there and turns northerly. The castle faces west.

For skiers, this is an ideal location, as it's located central to the two major ski resorts----Brighton and Alta.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

To drag it back the the question of shared conduit, I would have concerns if the air line were flexible and would therefor be working against a surface or wire insulation.

You may also want to research the placement of conduit (BX) within conduit. There are even issues of Romex within conduit and possibly you would need to down rate the current capacity of the wire unless a single insulated strand such as THHN.
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

jcfx wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 8:25 pm WOW, when you said castle I thought it was a metaphor for just a plain old house.
It's very impressive, maybe we should call you your Ex- Grace since you no longer own it.
;)

I guess if I don't allow building inspectors in I could run an air line in tandem with electric.
No reason to worry about inspectors if you do it properly. I suggest that you use direct-burial cable (which will need to be derated due to being in conduit) to provide abrasion protection should you need to pull out the air line.
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

Thanks for steering back on topic, direct burial wouldn't be possible since I would have to break up concrete pavement
in the tiny alley separating the outside kitchen wall to the back wall of the garage, something I rather not do.There's
an existing pipe that runs into the crawlspace under the kitchen so it's a matter of replacing the pipe with a larger one to
accommodate both lines.
My intent is to run armored BX cable for a 220 line with a plastic air line, the air line wouldn't be pressurized unless
I need it, it'll be short, basically the length of the aforementioned pipe ( about 3 ft or so ) I also plan to split the 220
so I also have a 110 for lights, the 220 would be for occasional welding.
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

jcfx wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:53 pm Thanks for steering back on topic, direct burial wouldn't be possible since I would have to break up concrete pavement
in the tiny alley separating the outside kitchen wall to the back wall of the garage, something I rather not do.There's
an existing pipe that runs into the crawlspace under the kitchen so it's a matter of replacing the pipe with a larger one to
accommodate both lines.
My intent is to run armored BX cable for a 220 line with a plastic air line, the air line wouldn't be pressurized unless
I need it, it'll be short, basically the length of the aforementioned pipe ( about 3 ft or so ) I also plan to split the 220
How many amps do you think you will need to see at the end of the run?
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

jcfx wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:53 pm Thanks for steering back on topic, direct burial wouldn't be possible since I would have to break up concrete pavement
accommodate both lines.
I suggested installing cable intended for direct burial inside the conduit, not using direct burial instead of pulling cable throught the conduit. However, bx will provide as much protection for the wires as direct burial cable would. Just derate the bx appropriately and you'll be fine.
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

curtis cutter wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:29 am How many amps do you think you will need to see at the end of the run?
20 amps max. for just the welder if I'm reading rating plate on the MP210 welder correctly.
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

Goos advice John, thanks.