Preparing Machines for Moving

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Preparing Machines for Moving

Post by SteveHGraham »

I am finally preparing my machinery to move to my current home. I have questions.

My mill has a rotary table and vise sitting on the table. Do I need to remove these before the rigger comes? I would really prefer not to. Heavy.

I was planning on removing the dials and anything else that looks fragile from the lathe. I figured I would move the carriage toward the tailstock for improved balance and lock it. I was hoping I could leave the chuck in place.

The mill is a Chaiwan Bridgeport clone, and the lathe is a 1640 made by Victor.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
John Evans

Re: Preparing Machines for Moving

Post by John Evans »

If you are using a pro rigger from experience do not remove dials etc. Only thing I would remove if equipped is DRO reader heads and coil and tape the cables. Pros with pro equipment are use to moving machines with chucks-vises etc in place. Machines came in that way all the time to my machine dealer friend's place. I would remove the tool post from the lathe -drill chuck-live center etc. but that is about all.
www.chaski.com
Bentworker

Post by Bentworker »

I’m all about lowering the center of gravity.

On the Mill I would drop the knee all the way, and rotate the head 180 degrees so it is upside down. Personally I wouldn’t worry about leaving vices etc on the table.

On the subject of handles. If it only takes a few minutes to remove them it might be worth it.
Shop toys...
10X54" Vectrax GS20F mill with DRO & frequency drive (saved from the scrap pile).
Jet 13x40 lathe.
Powermatic 1150 drill press.
I love Craigslist!
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

Only problem with removing handles is the riggers may decide they want the bed on the mill, or the carriage on the lathe in a different position....without handles it makes it much more difficult. You are using a rigger? rather than someone with a flatbed or hook truck that says he moves equipment all the time? I have a guy recently move some smaller machines for me....it was brutal to say the least. I turned around for a minute and the next thing I know the table and magnet vise on a small surface grinder had hit the pavement. Not a good scene!

Ask the rigger if he wants the vises and rotary table removed....send him a picture if need be.

Nyle
Rich_Carlstedt

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

Steve, having moved my shop several times and maybe 5,000 miles , I have a few comments:

Flip the head of the mill over as was suggested, and support the top of the head with wood blocks to the table
Do not allow the riggers to use the handles for tie downs. You should have 3 Eye bolts on hand for their use. Use EYE bolts in your T nuts mounted at each end of the table and use the table clamps (!!!) . Check the top of the Ram and have a EYE bolt in the ram . My bridgeport takes a 1/2-13, but other mills are 5/8" OR Metric !!
Only use FORGED eye bolts on the ram, but the riggers may strap the turret with nylon straps , which is OK for a pick. make sure the quill is locked and the motor is also locked or clamped

Guard your Lathe !!! I have seen many movers incorrectly move a Lathe and damage the Leadscrew . Have short ( 14-18" ) 2 x 4s to go cross-wise under the bed so their straps are under the 2 x 4's when lifting . wrapping a strap around the ways and lifting will bend the leadscrew.
It is permissible to put straps between the ways and use the bed structure for picking- it is strong ...clean out chips first please !
You can tighten the tailstock ( clamp) at the end of the bed, but remove the wrench . The carriage means nothing . No tooling or wrenches left on any machine! Leave the chuck on , but nothing in the tailstock ( may fall out) .

Oil or spray LPS on all bare metal surfaces . Have the electric cords rolled up and taped/tied to the machine so the cords are not crushed.
Rich
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

Perhaps a dumb question but have you considered calling the riggers and asking what you should do to prepare the machines before they come?
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Bentworker wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:50 pm I’m all about lowering the center of gravity.

On the Mill I would drop the knee all the way, and rotate the head 180 degrees so it is upside down. Personally I wouldn’t worry about leaving vices etc on the table.

On the subject of handles. If it only takes a few minutes to remove them it might be worth it.
My center of gravity has been lowering for years now, my knees don't go all the way down, I can't rotate my head 90 degrees, much less 180 degrees, and if my handles were easy to remove, I would have done that years ago.

Steve
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Yes, flip the head etc.

I wouldn't take the handles off because that will leave even more fragile shafts exposed. And as stated, to fit or balance as desired, they may need shift things around.

And also support asking the person in charge of the move. With the help of a friend who deals with machinery and some of our similarly inclined friends, we moved my entire shop from my old place the new place 30 minutes away. Started at 7 AM, took them all to a thank you lunch a bit before noon. But we had a convoy of vehicles and a guy who was VERY experienced using a forklift to move machines.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Inspector wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:30 am Perhaps a dumb question but have you considered calling the riggers and asking what you should do to prepare the machines before they come?
That's a good way to interview the riggers.
~RN
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I already have a rigger. It's a crane and rigging company my dad used to represent. Very nice people, and I have no doubt about their skills. They put my lathe in my garage (for nothing). They basically told me to leave the machines alone. Thought it was wise to get additional input.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
spro

Post by spro »

I understand now, Steve. If they are super good, everything will be balanced for the move. You are caliber above some here, who take everything apart before a move. Heck I take heads off, rams off, handwheels off but isn't just me. We have seen what already happened. I wouldn't have a heavy Kurt vise vise on the table or a rotary table because that stuff increases the weight. When we mention lift rings and proper ones,if it was bare machines. I hope it works for you but dang that extra 200+ lbs might be the one straw on the camel's back and you don't need that.
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

Professional machine movers are not cheap but know what they are doing, and are full insured.
Don't mess them about if they are professional and insured.