Fed up With Crummy Rotary Tools

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Fed up With Crummy Rotary Tools

Post by SteveHGraham »

I am frickin' fed up with rotary tools.

I had a Dremel for 25 years. The switch had problems eventually, but I kept it and got it working a year or two ago. It pooped out last week, so I started looking for something new. I figured I would end up with a Proxxon. I already have one, and it seems better than a Dremel, but I found out there are certain parts that seem to die way too often.

I ordered a Dremel 4300 kit. Tried it today. I put a leather burnisher on it. My old Dremel ran this just fine at 30K RPM or whatever the top speed is. The new Dremel throws a fit at 15K. The burnisher works fine on the Proxxon, so the burnisher is not the problem.

I looked online for other options, figuring there had to be somebody out there making a decent rotary tool. The best thing I came up with was a cordless Milwaukee, but it's heavy, and I want a cord. Even Foredom doesn't make hand rotary tools.

I'm thinking of getting an old Dumore. Wondering if anyone here knows anything about them. I've seen some that go up around 30K. I would like variable speed, so I suppose I would need a pedal or speed control box.

Can I use a Dumore as easily as a Dremel? I don't want to feel like I'm holding a log.

It amazes me that no one outside of China is trying to compete with Dremel and Proxxon. The market is wide open. The Dremel kit I bought runs around $100, and it seems like junk. Now that the price is that high, you would think someone would put out a better tool and blow Dremel off the planet.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Glenn Brooks

Re: Fed up With Crummy Rotary Tools

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Steve,

What kind of work do you want to do with the rotary? I went down this route last year, looking for a small rotary tool to remove scale and splatter in hard to reach corner weldments. I bought a moderately expensive rotary air tool to use with my air compressor. But soon gave it up in favor of an air powered HF needle gun. Now using an air hammer with a chisel to clean up all the surface crud from stick welding. Not pretty- but plenty beefy and quick.

Typically, my go to tools for shaping or material reducing are an end mill or my floor mounted grinder for bigger surface removal and shaping - sometimes an acetylene torch. Just sort of gave up on the small dremmel like tools- just not robust enuf, except for really delicate work...

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

SteveHGraham writes:
> I figured I would end up with a Proxxon. I already have one, and it seems better than a Dremel,
> but I found out there are certain parts that seem to die way too often.

I recently replaced my Dremel with a Proxxon. Huge improvement, but which part should I expect to fail?
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

I have a drawer full of Rotozip Rebel spiral saws, bulkier body but they take Dremel bits with the optional collets available, I haven't had one fail yet.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I have an old craftsman that is similar in configuration to a dumore. It's pretty heavy, but it works well. It came with a bracket for mounting to the lathe, so I use it for internal grinding and grinding chuck jaws.

Slightly off topic, but the best thing I ever did for my dremel was to get a 3-jaw chuck for it.

Now I can use anything in it and not worry if there is a collet.

Dad was a dentist and I have a pile of quality diamond and other dental burrs I can use it in.

Steve
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

Here is a company that has a large selection of rotary tools, but their prices are not the best.

I have bought from them many times, and they do have a printed catalog they mail out on an almost monthly basis.

https://www.micromark.com/mini-powertoo ... tary-tools
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I noticed that people who bought Proxxons complained about the electronics failing.

I'm getting a Dumore. We'll see how it works.

I don't know why they cost so much new. It's hard to believe what is essentially a commercial-grade Dremel is worth over $300. I checked their parts site. Some of the bearings cost over $30, but others are less than $5. Seems like repairing a Dumore would be cheap.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

SteveHGraham wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:16 am I noticed that people who bought Proxxons complained about the electronics failing.
Which model? I bought the IBS/E: the cheaper FBS 115E looks "entry level" (i.e. cheap) and the 12V units are right out.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

You are placing a lateral load against a ball bearing that is turning at 30,000 rpm. You can't expect a $100 tool to stand up to that kind of force forever. The same is true of any other brand of tool. More money means better bearings.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Mr Ron wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:18 am You are placing a lateral load against a ball bearing that is turning at 30,000 rpm. You can't expect a $100 tool to stand up to that kind of force forever. The same is true of any other brand of tool. More money means better bearings.
My 1995 Dremel tolerated lateral loads just fine. It still would, if it ran. Dremels are supposed to tolerate lateral loads. Nearly all of the burrs, bits, brushes, and stones are used with lateral force. A Dremel that couldn't take lateral force would be of no use at all. The switch on mine failed, and if memory serves, a winding broke.

Dremel bearings are made for lateral loads, just like other ball bearings. They're not the kind of bearings used for heavy axial loads.

Also, it's not "a ball bearing." Dremels have two bearings. One at each end.

No tool lasts "forever," but the new Dremel failed right out of the box. Junk.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

I wouldn't buy a Proxxon. In the latest Micro Mark catalog, their Proxxon 16" scroll saw is selling for $189.99, reduced from $237.45. If you look closely, it is identical to a Harbor Freight or Wen scroll saw that sells for less than $100. It does come with a flexible shaft attachment. Proxxon tools are way overpriced IMO.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

SteveHGraham wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:34 am

My 1995 Dremel tolerated lateral loads just fine. It still would, if it ran. Dremels are supposed to tolerate lateral loads. Nearly all of the burrs, bits, brushes, and stones are used with lateral force. A Dremel that couldn't take lateral force would be of no use at all. The switch on mine failed, and if memory serves, a winding broke.

Dremel bearings are made for lateral loads, just like other ball bearings. They're not the kind of bearings used for heavy axial loads.

Also, it's not "a ball bearing." Dremels have two bearings. One at each end.

No tool lasts "forever," but the new Dremel failed right out of the box. Junk.
I'm sure the bearings used in that 1995 Dremel were much better than ones used today 25 years later. Where was that 1995 Dremel made. USA, Taiwan, China? Probably USA.