nuts and bolts in scale

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Trainman4602

Re: nuts and bolts in scale

Post by Trainman4602 »

I personally think that making scale bolts and nuts is a bit overkill. No one will criticize you for using a standard size bolt. In making scale bolts you also have the factor of scale 1.5 or 1.6 2 Inch in 1.5 is 1/4 inch but in 1.6 is is .265 where do you get a .265 wrench? grind out an old 1/4 inch wrench not hardly.

Here is an example of the scale turret cover on my K4. Most builder don't bring this cover to the full detail, they usually make some sort of metal box with no detail. I have included a turret cover Jack Bodenmann made for one of the Berkshires.
Attachments
Picture 416.jpg
Picture 413.jpg
ABerk7.JPG
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Train Man is absolutely correct. You can split hairs to the point where you will never finish anything. Proportion is more important than absolute scale. I will often stick my thumb out and have a look. Sometimes scale parts just don't look right. Now that being said, it's your model. You have to please yourself. If you don't like the way off the shelf fasteners look, you should make your own.
Happy Model Building.
Jack
hoppercar

Post by hoppercar »

years ago, a fellow gave me good advice when I first got iinto live steam......don't join the r.c.a. club.....river counters association........h.o. model railroading, and live steam don't mix
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

hoppercar wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:10 pm years ago, a fellow gave me good advice when I first got iinto live steam......don't join the r.c.a. club.....river counters association........h.o. model railroading, and live steam don't mix
Hmmmm. I'm not so sure. If that's true, someone should have, long ago, advised Barry Hague that his high quality accessories were not necessary, nor important. Now that he's no longer among the living, it's too late to tell him how badly he wasted his time.

No one individual can speak for the likes and dislikes of others. Choices made in modeling should be made to satisfy the builder. There is no right or wrong. If you enjoy counting rivets, that exactly what you should do. If you like building freelance, that's exactly what you should do. It's up to others to accept your choices, not to criticize.

One more thing. If a given builder lacks the skill and/or desire to highly detail a model (any model), he should not be critical of those who can and do. One does not enhance a position by weakening the position of others (this comment is not directed towards anyone, but everyone)!

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

So I am going overboard by making #7-36 screws for my project.

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

No Not in your mind but for me that is a bit much. BTW how many of these do you need?
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

Trainman4602 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:55 am No Not in your mind but for me that is a bit much. BTW how many of these do you need?
Less than 100. I also machined the fitted bolts for the cross members. I just turn up the speed as fast as it will go on the lathe. I would say 2 to 3 minutes per bolt.

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Build and run what satisfies you.
That is what matters.
~RN
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

FLtenwheeler wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:26 am So I am going overboard by making #7-36 screws for my project.

Tim
Frankly, I admire that endeavor.
Do you guys follow the work our good friends, the German readers, are doing? They seem to be hell bent on following prototype detail. Perfect modeling in miniature. I really like that.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Harold_V wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:12 am
hoppercar wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:10 pm years ago, a fellow gave me good advice when I first got iinto live steam......don't join the r.c.a. club.....river counters association........h.o. model railroading, and live steam don't mix
Hmmmm. I'm not so sure. If that's true, someone should have, long ago, advised Barry Hague that his high quality accessories were not necessary, nor important. Now that he's no longer among the living, it's too late to tell him how badly he wasted his time.

No one individual can speak for the likes and dislikes of others. Choices made in modeling should be made to satisfy the builder. There is no right or wrong. If you enjoy counting rivets, that exactly what you should do. If you like building freelance, that's exactly what you should do. It's up to others to accept your choices, not to criticize.

One more thing. If a given builder lacks the skill and/or desire to highly detail a model (any model), he should not be critical of those who can and do. One does not enhance a position by weakening the position of others (this comment is not directed towards anyone, but everyone)!

H
Any scale has different types of modeler, ones that enjoy the build and ones that want to run trains or somewhere in between. The nice part about live steam and large scale is one can build, run, and add more details as they wish (off season). Personally I fall in the middle somewhere and plan to be operating in a timeline that's probably 1/3rd of some other super detailed builds and that's my choice. I've seen members here count and scale every nut bolt and rivet and build some gorgeous models, while others that could only afford to put something together from recycled wood and metal, bicycle parts, and power chair parts, and those builders got it done the way they wanted with the means they had which all deserve a kudos.