Looking for a collet sleeve

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Dan B

Looking for a collet sleeve

Post by Dan B »

Howdy all. I recently purchased a 1240P jet lathe from the late 70s.
It did not come with a 5c collet adapter so I've been trying to assemble one. I purchased a 5mt to 5c sleeve from ebay but it doesn't seem to fit properly. In this photo you can see the adapter inserted into the spindle.
The lathe came with a 5mt to 3mt adapter, it can be seen in the photo above on the board and here in the spindle.
As you can see the 5mt to 3mt adapter fits fine in the spindle, its large end is 1.75". The collet sleeve I bought from ebay has only a 1.625" large end.
I measured the taper on the 5mt/3mt sleeve that came with the lathe and I'm pretty sure the spindle has a 5mt taper.
Does anyone know where I can find a 5c collet sleeve that will fit this lathe?
Thanks very much for any help.
I know I could make one but I'm not very good with hardening and grinding.
Dan
stevec

Re: Looking for a collet sleeve

Post by stevec »

Dan I've sorta been looking for the same thing I would try machining my 5MT-3MT sleeve but I'm not too sure how hard it is and I'd rather have both.
Best bet, if it's available from Grizzly would be "Grizzly Adapter part# is P4026001 for $29.50 (MT5-OD x 5C-ID"
JFK seems to offer all kinds of MT5-5C sleeves but they mention the "guide line" which seems to refer to the depth into the taper. Imagine, if you can, a #5MT about a foot long, Depending where along that 12" your #5mt in your lathe spindlke falls governs the guide line dia.
http://www.jfkprecisionproducts.com/colletadapters.htm.
Gotta go, I'll be checking back, could you maybe call Grizzly about that part? At $29.95 it would work for me.
Steve
Dan B

Post by Dan B »

Thanks for the info. I just ordered one from Grizzly, hopefully it will fit properly.
Dan
stevec wrote:Dan I've sorta been looking for the same thing I would try machining my 5MT-3MT sleeve but I'm not too sure how hard it is and I'd rather have both.
Best bet, if it's available from Grizzly would be "Grizzly Adapter part# is P4026001 for $29.50 (MT5-OD x 5C-ID"
JFK seems to offer all kinds of MT5-5C sleeves but they mention the "guide line" which seems to refer to the depth into the taper. Imagine, if you can, a #5MT about a foot long, Depending where along that 12" your #5mt in your lathe spindlke falls governs the guide line dia.
P4026001 om/colletadapters.htm.
Gotta go, I'll be checking back, could you maybe call Grizzly about that part? At $29.95 it would work for me.
Steve
stevec

Post by stevec »

Great Dan! I'll be watching, meantime I may inquire if Buzy Bee can supply one up here in Canukistan.
tetramachine

Post by tetramachine »

A MT-5 taper is 1.748 at the nominal big end, so the ebay adapter is wrong, maybe its a Jarno taper, which would be a #13, suitable for what I don't know. A least thats the only taper that works out close to your measurement.
My wheels don't slow me down
Charlie W.

Post by Charlie W. »

I had a 1981 or 1983 Jet 1236...don't remember which year but I think it was a 1981. It had a MT-5 taper in the spindle. Below is the spec sheet and it looks to me like your's has a MT-4 taper. There are some deviations though as mine has a #2 tailstock taper and not the MT-3 as the spec shows.

This is the Jet I had:

Charlie
Dan B

Grizzly sleeve

Post by Dan B »

I ended up getting a sleeve from Grizzly. It fits. Didn't cost much on upside, the downside is that it is not hardened. The torque arresting pin barely protrudes into the bore, and the outside taper where the pin is had to be ground down before I could put it in the lathe. If I find it has excessive run out I'll regrind the 5c taper. If I still can't it to work I may buy one from these folks,
http://www.jfkprecisionproducts.com/colletadapters.htm
Dan
Dan B

Post by Dan B »

Mine looks nearly identical to that lathe. It has a 1.5" bore and 40" center distance. It is definitely a 5mt bore.
Dan
Charlie W. wrote:I had a 1981 or 1983 Jet 1236...don't remember which year but I think it was a 1981. It had a MT-5 taper in the spindle. Below is the spec sheet and it looks to me like your's has a MT-4 taper. There are some deviations though as mine has a #2 tailstock taper and not the MT-3 as the spec shows.

This is the Jet I had:

Charlie
rhjph

Post by rhjph »

The Grizzly adaptor has now gone up from US$29.50 to US$122.50. No longer an economical solution.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Check ebay. At one point there were several sources with the 5C -Morse adapters. There is a guage line so measuring the diameter of the entrance to your taper will help you select from morse adapters with varying nominal sizes.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

shars or cdco

not always the best quality, but if you need something to get going
Too many things going on to bother listing them.