Looking for 4032

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Slipped Eccentric

Looking for 4032

Post by Slipped Eccentric »

Hey all, I'm looking for about 4" of 2" dia. 4032 aluminum in order to make a piston. Any leads?
Inspector

Re: Looking for 4032

Post by Inspector »

Some here but don't know if they sell small amounts. https://www.eaglealloys.com/4032-aluminum/
Pete
rklopp

Post by rklopp »

I found 4032 round bar on Amazon, but I don’t see sizes listed, nor “Add to cart,” which makes me think it is not truly available. I could swear I bought some from McMaster years ago, but they don’t seem to list it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

How critical is that particular alloy? It does not appear to be a common one.
Slipped Eccentric

Thank you for the help so far. I've found eagle but don't use aluminum nearly enough to justify buying a whole bar and keeping it around. Similar issues with Amazon and it not being in stock. I guess the actual alloy isn't that important, but it's going to be a piston in a scooter that will see some use so I want something that will hold up. From what I've found this is what's normally used due to its high silicon content, so if anyone knows of a similar more readily available alloy I'd get that instead.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I would think that 6061 in a T6 condition would do the job satisfactorily, and it's readily available.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Harold_V wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:33 pm I would think that 6061 in a T6 condition would do the job satisfactorily, and it's readily available.

H
A direct comparison of 4032 and 6061:

https://www.makeitfrom.com/compare/4032 ... 1-Aluminum
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

Silicon content is the problem with 6061, not enough, too much thermal expansion, JE piston company give a good explanation why they use 4032 for their cast and forged pistons.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

The issue with expansion is far more critical for internal combustion engines than it would be for steam, where temperature swing is reduced considerably. 6061 will serve adequately, especially considering the diameter of the piston is likely small (certainly smaller than the typical internal combustion automotive piston).

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Slipped Eccentric

Harold, this is for a 2 stroke scooter. Finished diameter would be 45mm. The only other option we have right now it to knurl a piston and it will still be slightly too small.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

For what ever reason, my mind had gone to a steam engine piston. Now I understand. I suspect the engine in question it's also air cooled, so temperature is certainly an issue.

A rather energetic project, but one could cast a piston if really needed.

Regardless of the material source (cast or machined from bar stock), I don't know how you'd address the cam grinding of the skirt. Did you intend for it to be round?

H
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

Contact McMaster Carr. They no longer list 4032 in their catalogue, but that doesn't mean they don't have it or can't get it for you. I have bought items through them that were not listed. Tell them what you need and they will source it for you. You may have to buy a 12" length or a minimum but they will get it for you.

Nyle