Patio's projects

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

JackF

Re: Patio's projects

Post by JackF »

Thanks for the video Pat and nice work. I like the middle handle most. :) :wink:

Jack.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

For folks who aren't familiar with the 300 series of stainless, 303, either S or Se, are free machining. They have wonderful machining characteristics and are a pleasure to work with.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Another project.
I help a group put on a festival each year, for the last 15 years. We usually have a bon fire, but in the last few years we have been on different properties, and the event is held in August, and that is when the fire danger is the highest around here. So we did not have a fire for a few years, until I built a gas one, last year. This year I built the burners for two of them. They can be no greater the 36"X36" around here. I am friends with one of the local welders here, and they were kind enough to build the stand and pan, for the burner. I used landscape lava rock for the media. The lava rock was recently delivered to the yard where I borrow it from, and was a bit wet. Once I had it all set up for a test run, I let it run for a bit to dry the rock to keep them from popping. Below is a picture of me burning them off. ;)
20190805_173036a.jpg
20190812_183838a.jpg
20190813_202026.jpg
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
JackF

Post by JackF »

Great job.

Jack
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

This is a perfect solution while the highest restriction level on outdoor burning is being enforced Pat. Kudos to you.
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Hi everyone! I am still kicking, life is busy and that is a good thing.
I did get some shop time, and got a round-to-it project done, today. I have never had a steady rest, but had wanted one a time or two. I could buy one for the Cazeneuve HBX360, but the guy want $450 bucks for it, with is more than I am willing to pay for the amount of times I may need it. So I waited and watch, till I found one that I thought I could modify to fit the Caz. I ended up finding one in an auction, and I got it for a very price. Harold was kind enough to let me use his band saw, to cut the original base off, and it has been sitting just like that, for about a year now. I found a piece of 1/2" hot rolled plate and machined it for the base. I used the shaper to cut the truncated V, to fit the tailstock way.
Here is a video of the Shaper in action.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRVYxSoDv4I
20200308_211341a.jpg
The other end of the base plate was milled, so the plate would set level on the way of the lathe.
The steady rest was then set up on the mill to face off the bottom in a flat plane so the steady rest would sit upright. I used the only machined feature on the rest to align it for milling.
20200312_203826a.jpg
20200312_210207a.jpg
I made the plate, set it on the lathe, set the steady rest on top of it, where it would lined up with the live center of the tailstock, then scraped some soap stone so the filings would fall in the through the center hole, leaving an outline of the hole on the plate, so I knew where to locate the hole. Once I had the hole in the base plate, I assembled them together on the lathe, again, to align the tailstock to the axis of the lathe, and then held the two pieces, from rotating, with a couple of clamps. The assembly was then set up on the mill and two 1/4" holes were drilled, so they could be bolted together, permanently. I counter bored the two holes, using and end mill held in a drill chuck.
20200314_113453a.jpg
20200314_120411a.jpg
More on the next page
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Next I made the clamping plate, to fit the square headed bolt, that came with the steady rest. Being there are no critical measurements on this project, I just scribed some lines around the bolt head, once it was aligned with a square. I used an endmill to drill the corners and then milled out the pocket for the bolt head. The bolt, was put in a collet in the lathe and faced off, so it does not hang down far enough to hit the webbing of the lathe. I am happy, with how well everything came together and the results too.
20200314_134104a.jpg
20200314_135911a.jpg
20200314_142431a.jpg
20200314_171727a.jpg
20200314_144705a.jpg
More to come.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Well done, my friend. You've progressed nicely since we met.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Much more sophisticated than the poorly steady rest I made; nice!
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

Nice work!
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
JackF

Post by JackF »

Hi Pat, very nice work. :D It's always good when you can find time to get into the shop :D :D

Jack.
Patio

Post by Patio »

I had bought a collet closer for my lathe at an auction, for a very good price. It is a jet brand and is made to fit a jet lathe. I am in the process of adapting it to fit the Caz. The draw bar for the jet is about 22" long. The one I need for the Caz is about 36" long. I intended to modify the Jet draw bar by adding and end to it, and after talking to Harold, I decided to cut it in half and make a piece to go in the middle. I parted the bar into two pieces and was in the process of turning some threads, when I noticed a fracture in the tubing. After much thought and conversations with Harold, I have decided to make a new bar from scratch. I will post that project when it is done, for now I am waiting on some material. The collet closer, originally came with a spanner wrench for one of the adjsutments. The one I have does not have the spanner, so I made one. This one was a quick down dirty build, but it should work, as there is not a lot of torque put on the wrench.
Here are some pictures.
This is the original draw bar with the split in it.
20200323_183359.jpg
The spanner was made from some rusty old bar stock, I had laying around. The pin was cut off the end of a broken 3/16" drill bit, I had. It is held in place with some soft solder. I used the hydraulic press to make the bends.
20200325_165624a.jpg
20200325_173819.jpg
20200325_180451.jpg
More to come, as I get it done!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!