Cylinder Cocks Issue (Video)- Any Suggestions?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Shlick88

Cylinder Cocks Issue (Video)- Any Suggestions?

Post by Shlick88 »

The work on my Pacific continues...Today I went ahead and steamed up on rollers to check out a few things I've been working on. Unfortunately my line from the injector to the boiler still has leaks, but that's a different story. However, I had one side of the engine the appeared to have cylinder cocks working correctly while the other seemed to have issues. Curious if you guys have any suggestions on where to start or what you think the issue could be?

Video link below.

Thanks in advance!

https://vimeo.com/349364818
Burlington Little Line
4-6-2 Pacific 1.5"
Omaha, NE
NP317

Re: Cylinder Cocks Issue (Video)- Any Suggestions?

Post by NP317 »

One valve and joint at a time.

Make a list of the identified problems, and work your way through until all are fixed.
I just completed the first page of five, of tasks to get a steam project running.
RN
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Are you sure it's a cylinder cock problem? Judging from the erratic performance and lack of steam, I wonder if, maybe, the cylinder in question isn't getting steam?

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Joe Tanski

Post by Joe Tanski »

if you close the cylinder cocks does the engine run smooth in forward and reverse, if not its a timeing problem!!!
Joe
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

I agree, It's not getting steam to the right side cylinder.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

If you think it is a cylinder drain issue....the test is very simple. Take all of the cylinder cocks off the locomotive and steam test again.
I suspect that the other posters are correct however....and there is no steam getting to the right side cylinder.

Keith
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

Not sure why the suspicion is that the E/S cylinder is not receiving steam. It is evident that it is getting steam due to steam wisping from the piston/valve rod glands. It does seem very sticky... Do the cylinder cocks open as they should be? When open, do they seem to exhaust an equal amount of steam on all 4 events? Does the timing still seem square even with the cylinder cocks open?

The video does not tell the full story... But it is a start.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Mike Walsh wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:57 am Not sure why the suspicion is that the E/S cylinder is not receiving steam. It is evident that it is getting steam due to steam wisping from the piston/valve rod glands. It does seem very sticky...
I made that observation, but, coupled with the fact that it is sticky, it caused me to wonder if the cylinder is getting any of the steam, which could be the reason it behaves as if it's sticky. That steam gets to the valve doesn't guarantee that it gets to the cylinder.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

at the beginning of the video, its very clear all four corners is getting steam. what type of rollers do you have it on. it sure seems to have a lot of drag. that said, you are asking about the cocks.
questions,
1) was the cock supposed to be open or closed?
2) are they manual, steam or "automatic"?

but just from observations, the cocks likely need to be disassembled, cleaned and inspected.
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

Entirely possible that it is not on rollers... If not on rollers, I believe that the valve gear is slightly out of sync because of lower driver centers (due to no weight on the suspension). But it could all be a little sticky due to dry oil in the cylinder/valves, etc... right?
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

It is getting a tiny bit of steam to the right side. It is as though the valve never gets off neutral so it cracks open and then shuts.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

It is hard to see in the video.....but it looks like the die block is at the bottom of the expansion link on the fireman’s (left) side....but the die block is in the middle of the expansion link on the right side. If the lifting lever is pinned to the cross shaft and the pin has broken, you would have the left side doing all of the work while the right side remains in Neutral. Any chance of getting a side view while the loco is running on steam or air?

Keith