Old craftsman lathe

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Love4Steam

Old craftsman lathe

Post by Love4Steam »

Anyone know what its worth or interested in it?
Attachments
20190813_182639.jpg
20190813_182444.jpg
20190813_182429.jpg
20190809_173913.jpg
John Evans

Re: Old craftsman lathe

Post by John Evans »

$100 for parts if that is all that is there ! No QC box or gears ,cobbled up counter shaft and broken handles. Have had several over the years ranging from new to well used . The new one was usable as long as you took light cuts with SHARP HSS , the worst one about the same as a chisel and a file.
www.chaski.com
spro

Post by spro »

There has to be a tailstock, change gears, tooling to estimate total value. Take a measure from the center line to the bed and double that. I remember Atlas had a fair stout lathe in the 10" range.
Edit; JE has provided useful information.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

There is a plate on the back of the bed (you may need a mirror to see it) that will have the model number and serial number on it. That will give us more information.

Take pictures of any / all accessories that come with it - the tooling can be worth as much as the lathe. Without it, the lathe isn't very useful.

The fact that it is missing the QC gearbox is a downside, but a whole lot of people don't thread on their lathe, so there are still potential buyers for it.

The fact that that handle is broken leads me to believe that the lathe was dropped face down, so there could be more damage you can't see, like bent shafts in the cross slide, compound and carriage handwheel.

The tailstock is a must for a lathe like this, otherwise you can't easily drill a hole so that you can bore the work.

Given what I see (and I'm assuming that what's not in the pictures is missing):
Older Atlas / Craftsman
Timken roller bearing headstock (a plus)
Two broken handles on the carriage with possible other damage to carriage
Missing change gears
Missing tailstock
Cobbled together drive system missing 4-sheave pulley
Only one chuck
Lantern tool post, no toolholders

Given the above, I would put it at $200-$300. It would be worth more as parts, but unless a lathe is shot, I don't like to part them out.

I sold a South Bend model C with a lot more tooling than that, nothing broken but missing the drive system for $400. The South Bend is a much more capable lathe than an Atlas (I own an Atlas, so I know).

Steve
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Going by the offset of the compound, it looks like the last time it was used was to turn a taper. It would make a nice project, but even when all restored, wouldn't be worth too much.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Mr Ron wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:47 am Going by the offset of the compound, it looks like the last time it was used was to turn a taper.
Or it was moved that way to protect the handle in case it fell flat on its face, which right now looks like a genius move.

Steve
spro

Post by spro »

Those handles are fragile. Like chromed pot metal, they can break before the screw bends. we aren't going anywhere with this until the OP gives more info. I can't see that being a 6" lathe. It is that larger size. without risers which I think makes it a 10".
Love4Steam

Post by Love4Steam »

It is a 6". Too small for me so I passed on it. Thank you for the comments
spro

Post by spro »

Well freakin ouch! I didn't have the perspective to see it was a 6" . Looks well made but on to new horizons with a larger machine in mind. A good trip.