Lathe Fixed.

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

armscor 1

Lathe Fixed.

Post by armscor 1 »

My 13x40 lathe was getting noisy and headstock shaking at high speed.
Lathe in neutral found the countershaft had a tight spot.
Removed blind bearing on rear of headstock very tight, applied heat and managed to get it out, thought I was going to break the puller.
Cut the bearing open and severe pitting on both races.
Drove in a new bearing driving on both races so as not to damage it, luckily I have another lathe to make the driver
God knows how I would have removed that bearing without the puller.
Lathe runs like a Swiss watch now.
Attachments
20190905_102553.jpg
IMG-20190905-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20190905-WA0002.jpg
SteveHGraham

Re: Lathe Fixed.

Post by SteveHGraham »

That must be a relief.

I've been wanting to get a bearing puller, but it seems like they're all Chinese and get bad reviews.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

Bought my kit some 30 years ago, mainly for removing blind bearings in motorcycle crank cases.
Checked Sykes Pickavant website and they still sell the same kits, highly recommend it.
Attachments
20190906_081907.jpg
spro

Post by spro »

Oh Man! I try to imagine myself in another's position and that was a tough operation! What alternative except removing everything forward.
Let's pretend I didn't see that puller kit.
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

One thing I did discover is when I ran the lathe at low speed with Headstock cover off thru my VFD the oil is not thrown high enough to lubricate the spindle bearings.
There is a trough around the periphery of the headstock with 2 oil feed holes to the front and rear spindle bearings.
Running the lathe at less than 50% of rated speed will starve the bearings.
For all you guys with lathes using VFD's and splash lubrication it is important to keep in mind.
pete

Post by pete »

I'll bet many have no idea that oil starvation is happening Armscor. A good heads up warning so thanks. Pretty poor design engineering at the manufacturer's level that prevents lubrication to the bearing type they decided to use imo. Due to my interest in mostly stationary steam I've seen a lot clever ideas used over the years to ensure enough oil on fairly low speed rotating equipment. Could you fab up a piece of sheet metal attached inside the head stock with a few thou clearance on the main or largest gear to help scrape oil off it's perimeter as it rotates around and have that gravity feed the internal cast in trough?
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

There probably is enough lubrication when the lathe is run at rated speed. The manufacturer's error was in failing to anticipate the development of VFDs.
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

My 13x42 Dean Smith and Grace built in 1954 must have been well ahead of their time, cam driven piston oil pump with a myriad of copper tubes fed from a main header feeding all gears and bearings and sight indicator to give you a visual of oil flow, used a vfd on it and lubricated at low speeds.
A friend of mine had a Colchester Master, refused to start, checked schematics and a pressure switch contact was not closing, buried behind the headstock was an electric oil pump, probably the best system giving prelube when breaker closed before running lathe.