2.5" scale "Fulton" 4-4-0 castings now available from Allen Models

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

Harlock

2.5" scale "Fulton" 4-4-0 castings now available from Allen Models

Post by Harlock »

Allen Models is pleased to announce the availability of 2.5" scale castings for a Baldwin 8-18-C based on the 1882 Fulton County Narrow Gauge #1 "Lewistown". These castings are also useful for a variety of freelance 2.5" locomotive projects - basic dimensions are given for many of the parts in photos and descriptions to this end. We will be releasing individual drawings in the future as they are revised and completed. https://allenmodels.com/fulton.html

The Fulton County Narrow Gauge #1 "Lewistown" was delivered from Baldwin in 1882 and worked between Galesburg and West Havana, Illinois until the line was converted to standard gauge around 1910.

The castings for the 2.5" scale version of this Baldwin 8-18-C have their origins in a pattern set made by the late Pat Allen (no relation to Gene Allen) with machine work being completed by Dr. Don Fite.

With the original patterns having been destroyed by Pat, a second set of patterns was developed by Dick Thomas and Bob Peterson, and it is this the set that Allen Models is offering parts from today. (this is the history as we currently understand it.) There are currently no complete plans available as the set we have needs correcting and completing, but we plan to release individual drawings for various sections in the future. In the mean time, we are offering the castings in case anyone would like to use them for a freelance Baldwin 8-18-C American or similar locomotive.

The prototype Fulton locomotive was based on 8-18-C plan #9, which was also used for Denver & Rio Grande nos. 26, 35, 36, 89, 90 and 91.

There are many useful parts such as the stacks, driver, cowcatcher pilot, cylinder group, pedestals and other items that would look good on any 2.5" scale project of similar proportions. There is also a cast arch bar side frame for 2.5" scale freight cars available. To this end we have included basic dimensions for many of the products so you can determine if they are the right fit for your project. The cylinder bore is nominally 2.5" and stroke is 3.25". Check the images and descriptions for each product to find out more information, or contact us for additional information.
Attachments
Original locomotive developed by Pat Allen and Dr. Don Fite.
Original locomotive developed by Pat Allen and Dr. Don Fite.
Prototype Fulton County #1 "Lewistown".
Prototype Fulton County #1 "Lewistown".
Some part examples:  Main driver
Some part examples: Main driver
Some part examples:  Straight stack
Some part examples: Straight stack
Some part examples:  Diamond stack
Some part examples: Diamond stack
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
NP317

Re: 2.5" scale "Fulton" 4-4-0 castings now available from Allen Models

Post by NP317 »

I am pleased to see this locomotive back on the market.
It (or a close relative) was last offered by Railroad Warehouse in Roundhouse, Nevada.
I saw the engine there under construction and thought it had great possibilities.
RussN
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

NP317 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:17 pm I am pleased to see this locomotive back on the market.
It (or a close relative) was last offered by Railroad Warehouse in Roundhouse, Nevada.
I saw the engine there under construction and thought it had great possibilities.
RussN
This is the same set of patterns that were previously offered by Railroad Warehouse. We acquired the line.

Cheers,

-Mike
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

Wasn't the RR warehouse a 3.75 scale locomotive? Or was that someone else that built a 3.75 inside frame 4-4-0?
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

Good looking engine and congrats on making it available again. Questions: would you cast the drivers out of ductile iron? Better for off road excursions... Second: any time frame on drawings?

Good work!

Mountaineer.
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Mountaineer wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:12 am Good looking engine and congrats on making it available again. Questions: would you cast the drivers out of ductile iron? Better for off road excursions... Second: any time frame on drawings?

Good work!

Mountaineer.
Allen Models only does grey / cast iron at the moment. For heavy running on steel track you may wish to make steel tires. Or wear out the wheels and then put tires on them. :D

A few drawings are actually going to be made available soon, for individual parts. things like the frame will come a little later. We'll try to add as many as we can to make the casting set more valuable to people. I'm also re-working the dome parts to be standard Baldwin for that engine.

Best,

-Mike
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

How close is this Fulton design to the Eureka of Dan Markoff?
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Rwilliams wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:57 am How close is this Fulton design to the Eureka of Dan Markoff?
According to Curtis Ferrington, although the same 8-18 series, the Eureka, Sonoma etc. were larger and heavier than the engines made from plan #9 like these. Although I am sure these can be adapted to produce a reasonable looking facsimile of those engines for anyone but people who are extraordinarily familiar with the differences. The main thing we're working on first is to offer fluted domes in addition to the round ones, which those examples all had. The size of the domes was different as well, so we may need to offer two sets of fluted domes in the future.

Best,

-Mike
KenG

Post by KenG »

Very interested. There is a lot of information on these locomotives on line from the DeGolyer collection at SMU including the original Baldwin specification sheets and the Smithsonian including the original 8-18-1/2 C drawing 6.

From what I can see the Fulton was almost identical to the Denver and Rio Grande class 38 locomotives, both from 8-18C drawing 9 except that the D&RG locomotives had bigger wheels - 45" drivers vs. Fulton's 41". Eureka was from drawing 4 and had a larger boiler with 42" diameter drivers.

G scale modeler David Fletcher has done a lot of research on early narrow gauge Baldwins. His drawing of the D&RG class 38 was recently published in Mallory Hope Ferrell's "Denver & Rio Grande The Early Years" and his drawing of Eureka's sister locomotive Palisade in Greg Maxwell's book on that railroad. Other information is available on the PacificNG.org website.

Not sure what you mean by "fluted" domes. They had mostly gone out of fashion by the time the narrow gauge was developed. Early narrow gauge locomotives has "ringed" domes. these changed to the simpler rounded shape by the start of the 20th century.

I look forward to seeing more on this project,
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Ordered Domes, headlight kit, and diamond stack casting for this engine last week for a different project i'm working on. Everything was delivered on Friday and Saturday. Great service and Response from Allen Models of Nevada!! All of these detail parts are all cast iron and are HEAVY!!! Gonna really help add some weight onto the locomotive! Main thing for me is all the time I will save not having to fabricate that stack out of sheet metal, or turn those domes out of solid material! Time savings is worth a lot to someone like me who doesn't get a lot of shop time to begin with.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

I actually finished machining the stack and pressing the tube in it this weekend. I think it turned out pretty nice!
20210130_121607b.jpg
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

Any news on drawings?