Removing End Of Broken Pipe From Pressure Pot Manifold

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

pollys1dad

Removing End Of Broken Pipe From Pressure Pot Manifold

Post by pollys1dad »

After receiving advice on the forum, thanks :) I bought a set of nipple extractors. Using a butane torch to free up the Loctite stuff. I'm wondering how the paint might react with the heat? If powder coated I have a feeling, it will pretty much stay put. If another finish might flake and bits fall into the 120 grit, which I think should be avoided if poss.
So should I fit the nipple extractor into the end of pipe, then heat up, would perhaps expand the extractor making a tighter fit but could also expand the end of the pipe making harder to get out? I'm thinking of a 10 second burst with the torch, which I've used to get other fittings off, is 10 seconds too long?
Please advise.
Cheers.
Attachments
B.JPG
Nipple Extractor.jpg
liveaboard

Re: Removing End Of Broken Pipe From Pressure Pot Manifold

Post by liveaboard »

You'll burn the paint for sure before it gets hot enough in there where the threads are.
I would turn a piece of steel rod so it could be slid in and then welded to the inside of the broken part.
Then be prepared to apply torque and remove it while it's still hot.

Or; weld around a little on the inside just to heat it, then use your extractor.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I would try it without heating it first.
If it doesn't go, remove the easy-out, heat it up from the inside, and try again.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
choprboy

Post by choprboy »

I agree with warm, I would try first without heating. Also, you can try drilling out the core with slightly larger than the pipe bore sized drills to thin out the thread profile. This will release compression in the stuck piece and make it easier to remove.

If you really want to heat and don't want to burn the paint... if you have a TIG welder and can get a good ground, you can TIG heat the stuck bit of pipe, low amperage, enough to heat the part but not melt it.
pollys1dad

Post by pollys1dad »

OK thanks, will try without heat first.
pollys1dad

Post by pollys1dad »

warmstrong1955 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:28 pm I would try it without heating it first.
If it doesn't go, remove the easy-out, heat it up from the inside, and try again.

Bill
" f it doesn't go, remove the easy-out, heat it up from the inside, and try again. " I suppose I could also try really heating the easy out up, then screwing into the thread, and hot easy out would transfer heat to the threads and any seal lock and release the seal? Will try no heat first, other method would prevent damaging paint.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Not sure what type of thread locker was put on your pipe, but Loctite Red needs about 250C.
If you get the tool hot enough to transfer enough heat to go transfer from the tool to the pipe, you may damage the temper of the tool.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Stick weld on the inside; messy, smoky, ugly, HOT, it will work.
fast.
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

A couple times when I had no other choice I ground out part of the pipe just enough to get to the threads with a rotary file and a sandpaper cartridge roll. Then picked out the bits left in the thread.

Pete
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

If I remember correctly, powder coat melts at around 450*f. However you can sand and smooth out the melted finish and touch it up with lacquer of the same color. Most powder coating places, or suppliers can provide color chips to match, and small aerosol cans to the exact same color matching. Last summer I needed to cut out a bit of rusted sheet metal on my powder coated tender and this process restored the finish quote well.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
pollys1dad

Post by pollys1dad »

warmstrong1955 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:56 pm Not sure what type of thread locker was put on your pipe, but Loctite Red needs about 250C.
If you get the tool hot enough to transfer enough heat to go transfer from the tool to the pipe, you may damage the temper of the tool.

Bill
Point taken, thanks.
pollys1dad

Post by pollys1dad »

Thanks everyone, I'll try cold first and will update results over the weekend.