How would you make this?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

ctwo

How would you make this?

Post by ctwo »

0.700 cube
0.350 through bore on one side
8-32 clearance through drill perpendicular to previous bore
0.09 slot through both holes
8-32 flat head countersink, but only on the inside of the bore

Somehow a countersink needs to reach into the middle of the bore, I thin something like this.
Attachments
cable-stay.PNG
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
ctwo

Re: How would you make this?

Post by ctwo »

I don't see the edit button but I wanted to mention, he does not want large through holes on the top. that think is supposed to hold the end of a clutch cable, so the slot is for the cable to slip into.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

I'm not sure what you mean by no large holes in the top.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

If I'm understanding right, you want a countersink at the bottom of the part but the diameter of the countersink cannot extreme to the top. It's gonna be hard to tighten the screws if he can't get a screwdriver in. Regardless, I might be tempted to make it in to halves, top and bottom, then we'll them together. Cut the slot last. Just be aware that the material will probably move when the slot is cut.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

we figured out the design wouldn't work since you have to drill the top open to get the screws in, and that drills out all the material that is supposed to hold the cable in.

This to repair a motorcycle engine casting. The casting had a small round bit that would house the clutch cable. The cast material was barely larger than the cable and the cable got yanked out, breaking the little bits of cast off. This guy is pointing at it in this vid at the 2 min mark: https://youtu.be/z6LOLmHx8Co?t=116

I told him to find someone to weld it.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

You could cut the slot first, grind down the shank on a countersink so that it could slide in from the side and then do likewise with a screwdriver. The screws would have be short. Looks like you could get perhaps 1.5 or 2 diameters to bite.

I'd try to think of a better way.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

It might look a little odd, but there's plenty of material left to hold the cable. If you are concerned about the corners left on the top cutting into the cable, make the hole a little bigger and sleeve it after it's attached to the bike.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Not too hard to do, just finished a few for a brake cable on a 4x4. I would post a picture, but would have to crawl under the vehicle to see it!

Drill center hole, cut hole for the ball on the cable from the side with a ball end mill, slot for shank with a small end mill.

This one used a small cross hole for a cotter pin, but a set screw could be used in place of the cotter.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

You really think there will be enough material? There will only be 50 thou of web at each end. I would have made it longer if I had realized the screw head size. His drawing was way out of scale and it looked like it was fine (he drew it just like it looks in the photos here), until I looked up the screw head diameter when it came time to drill the top and make the countersinks. He thinks I ought to drill the center now and use only one screw to attach.
Attachments
cable-stay-20200212_174353.jpg
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Trim down the screw head and make the holes just big enough for the trimmed screws.
10 Wheeler Rob

Post by 10 Wheeler Rob »

You can use allen flat head screws, then you do need a big hole to tighten it.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

10 Wheeler Rob wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:05 pm You can use allen flat head screws, then you do need a big hole to tighten it.
Excellent suggestion.