How To Remove Threaded End Of Broken Pipe?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

pollys1dad

How To Remove Threaded End Of Broken Pipe?

Post by pollys1dad »

I undid the nipple from one side of the pressure pot trap ok but when did the other the pipe broke. How do I remove the threaded bit of pipe left in the pot? An easy out I don't think would work for this.
Attachments
A.JPG
B.JPG
Chris Smith

Re: How To Remove Threaded End Of Broken Pipe?

Post by Chris Smith »

I have internal pipe wrenches for that sort of problem and they generally work. Do not get cheap ones because they break.

Chris Smith
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

I've successfuly used easy-outs for that.

What's an internal pipe wrench? Sounds very useful.
pollys1dad

Post by pollys1dad »

Chris Smith wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:47 am I have internal pipe wrenches for that sort of problem and they generally work. Do not get cheap ones because they break.

Chris Smith
OK thanks, the pipe may also have high strength thread lock seal on it, don't really want to use a butane torch on it, any ideas?
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

These are the best easy-outs for schedule 40 pipe. They don’t expand the pipe in the threads like conventional spiral type easy-outs do. If something will get the broken pipe out, with loctite or hardened up dope without using heat, these are the ones.

https://www.amazon.com/RIDGID-35685-Ext ... 640&sr=8-4

If it’s red loctite which was used, you may have no choice but to use heat.

I have a set of Proto internal pipe wrenches too, and they also work well, but nt as well as the fluted Ridgid.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

The other traditional method, when all else fail, is the careful use of a cape or diamond point chisel. I have removed a lot of broken off pipe threads with those over the years, not having the right size easy outs available. A section of hacksaw blade, held in one of the special holders, can be used to partially cut the pipe stub through, particularly if it is thick walled pipe.

Some damage to the thread may result, so cleanup with a tap is recommended.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

My method would be to stick a bar inside it and TIG weld the pipe to the bar. The pipe threads will shrink a little with the heat (when it cools), and the bar will give you good purchase. I would fill the bottle with argon or maybe even water, not knowing what kind of media was in it.

Dave
johnfreese

Post by johnfreese »

I have removed a lot of broken pipe stubs using a hacksaw blade. Make 3 or 4 slits inside the pipe stub. Go deep enough to see the beginning of threads. Using a pointed punch, applied next to a slit,collapse the pipe stub. After that you should be able to back out the stub with needle nose pliers.
pollys1dad

Post by pollys1dad »

johnfreese wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:10 pm I have removed a lot of broken pipe stubs using a hacksaw blade. Make 3 or 4 slits inside the pipe stub. Go deep enough to see the beginning of threads. Using a pointed punch, applied next to a slit,collapse the pipe stub. After that you should be able to back out the stub with needle nose pliers.
OK thanks for replying.