Parting tool used by Stefan Gottswinter

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

whateg0

Parting tool used by Stefan Gottswinter

Post by whateg0 »

While under the weather, I'm catching up on Youtube. Just watching one of Stefan's videos making flux capacitor parts and he is using what looks like a very narrow parting tool. Seems to have a triangular blade. He referred to it as a pehorn cut off tool, but I don't know how that's spelled. Maybe it's German? Anyway, I've had no luck locating any info online about it. Has anybody heard of those?
rklopp

Re: Parting tool used by Stefan Gottswinter

Post by rklopp »

I am guessing he is meaning PHorn tooling. They make nice, high-end production tooling. https://www.hornusa.com/horn-solutions/ ... talogs/?C=

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
choprboy

Post by choprboy »

It's similar to a Tool-Flo grooving/parting insert and Walter makes a Cut MX system, a triangular/quadangular insert that fits in an indexing slot toolholder.

I wasn't familar with what Stefan's specific system was, I figured it was some small specialty German producer, but searching around a bit I found it. It is Horn, 'PHorn", or "PH Horn PH", major tooling maker with EU and US outlets (hornusa.com). Not sure exactlywhat he was using, but it looks something like Horn's System 312 inserts.
https://www.jurassictools.com/store/pro ... 0-tn32-new
https://www.jurassictools.com/files/DSC ... 0_prev.jpg
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

That's! Yeah, I was not finding anyone remotely close searching for pehorn or pihorn or piehorn. What he used couldn't work on thick parts but the thin profile would be real nice at times.

Dave
pete

Post by pete »

I haven't watched the video yet but yeah PHorn or just Horn cutting tools. German based I think and typical high end European tooling with a fairly high price to match. They've gone up a lot since I bought mine but if what Stefan was using are like what I have Nikcole mini systems (scroll to the bottom and on the next page) https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/Ind ... 4287902322 offer both small cut off and radiused grooving tools that work really well. I bought mine when my little Compact 5 was the only lathe I had. If they'll work on it then they'll work even better on any larger and more rigid lathe.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

Not the same but at least I have a better idea what I'm looking for now. Of course, you may have noticed I'm not opposed to saving money if I can do the same thing another way, so there's a good chance I'll never buy any of their tools. I still like to read up on them though. Never know when the job will come along where they are perfect.
20200216_142027.jpg
Dave
pete

Post by pete »

Ok then that picture clarifies what your interested in, that looks a lot more rigid than what I'm using. Try page 875 in the MSC book and bottom of the page, the insert costs are the tough part, I'd think Stefan's Horn tip holder and inserts could be even more though. I mostly use my Nikcole as a small parting system, but the radiused grooving inserts are really nice for a thread relief when single pointing smaller fine threads. At the current price and what I paid when I bought mine there now a fair chunk of change for what they are and can do though.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

He made his own holder and acknowledged that it's not exactly ideal but works. That cost vs. Benefit thing applies to a lot of what we do as hobbies. I could definitely see me just dreaming of a lot of neat things like these. Sometimes, though, the knowledge of a tool design comes in handy in other ways. In general, I just like gaining knowledge, even if it never becomes more than trivia.

I wasn't sure if regrinding my carbide inserts was going to be useful but so far I've found it to be a great thing. Even little things like being able to shave off half a thou at higher spindle speeds than has would allow are kind of nice.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

Now I have to research Nikcole!

Edit: ok, I'm back from checking out Nikcole inserts at msc. Those look pretty nice. I would be too afraid of breaking one to ever use it though! Almost $15/edge! I'm sure the phorn stuff is about like that too. I didn't look yet. Maybe one day when this stuff starts paying it's own way it'll make sense for me to do that. Now I see where grinding my own carbide blanks can because useful.
pete

Post by pete »

Yep I'm the same and like gaining that knowledge as well and for the same reasons. Too bad that interest hadn't kicked in for me back in high school though. :-)
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

There are a lot of things I wish I'd have had an interest in as a kid. To be honest though, I wonder if it would have become like a lot of the things I was interested in back then. I grew up designing and installing custom stereo system. Made more doing that than my real job waiting tables. Started to do it professionally at one point and it wasn't fun any more. So maybe finding interest in something later in life makes us appreciate it more?
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

Stefan used a guhring boring bar system and mentioned making other tools to fit it. Maybe that's the way to go. I could buy some standard size carbide blanks and grind similar to shapes, say grooving tools, with standard offsets so that the holder wouldn't need adjustment. Then swap out the tools easily. That has some potential, I think.