BROWN & SHARPE MAGNICATOR MAGNETIC BASE - STIFF

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

ctwo

BROWN & SHARPE MAGNICATOR MAGNETIC BASE - STIFF

Post by ctwo »

Hey All,

I bought just the mag base. This is the one with the push button. The button gets very stiff half way and required two thumbs to press it all the way on or off. Is this normal or worth looking into a fix? It looks like there is a round plug in the back and a couple of brass dowel pins that would need to be drilled to open it up, but not sure.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
John Evans

Re: BROWN & SHARPE MAGNICATOR MAGNETIC BASE - STIFF

Post by John Evans »

Don't pull the core out without a keeper ,you'll lose the magic force ! LOL Dried gummy oil maybe run some ATF/Acetone down around the button and work it back and forth.
www.chaski.com
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

There is a similar pushbutton one in my shop, but definitely not made by B&S. It too has gotten hard to push over the years. Thanks for the suggestion on loosening it up.
2nd on DON'T TAKE THE MAGNET OUT! We wrecked one by doing that to see how it was made.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

True, that. If you dismantle a magnetic base, all the magnet runs out! :cry:

Really :!: :!:

My original Starrett is real sticky, too. I'll have to try a little of the ATF to see if it makes a difference. It's a real good solution to sticky things, which I have already determined. Thanks for the idea.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Or Marvel Mystery oil. I use MMO for air tool lube so one or the other is always around.
www.chaski.com
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

I wasn't looking forward to taking this apart, so I'm happy to avoid it.

Never thought of losing magnetism. I've heard of that with stepper motors too, but not quite sure how/why it happens, unless it is like how a demagnetizer works. I'm sure I've taken apart an import with the turning switch, and it seems fine.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...