Drilling Hole In Sandblast Cabinet For Bulkhead Adapter

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

pollys1dad

Re: Drilling Hole In Sandblast Cabinet For Bulkhead Adapter

Post by pollys1dad »

RSG wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:29 am Step bits like others have mentioned, anything bigger and a bi-metal hole-saw works great! That's what used recently on my cabinet.
OK thanks for that tip I'll remember it :)
pollys1dad

Post by pollys1dad »

Tried the step bit, not much progress. Have ordered a bi metal holesaw.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I looked back to the start to confirm you said "16 ga steel". Even the craptastic HF step drills should do just fine for that, unless you run it too fast and burn off the edge. Most seem to be a high carbon steel, so they like to run pretty slow. Anyway, I've got a cheap chinese set, and even they would be good enough for one or two holes in 16 ga steel. Something's not right if it's not working for you.

If it's too cheap to make it's own starter hole, maybe drill that with a regular bit, then switch to the step bit?

I hate hole saws run with hand drills. Sometimes there's not much option, but I generally look for any other option first.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I mounted a second light in my blast cabinet. I drilled the hole for the grommet that the S/O cable went through, about 3/4" diameter, with a step bit. Nothing exciting, just business as usual, and it took seconds.
I've drilled a kazillion holes in electrical panels with step bits. For sheet metal, they are the tool of choice, and I've never had a problem, past an old dull step bit, and then, I just had to push harder!

Got a pic? I don't understand the problem, especially if it's only 10 gauge.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
spro

Post by spro »

Have you considered "punch die" sets? All you need is a start hole to fit the tightening bolt. No chips flying everywhere.
Okay, looking back, it is a really small hole.
pollys1dad

Post by pollys1dad »

warmstrong1955 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:42 pm I mounted a second light in my blast cabinet. I drilled the hole for the grommet that the S/O cable went through, about 3/4" diameter, with a step bit. Nothing exciting, just business as usual, and it took seconds.
I've drilled a kazillion holes in electrical panels with step bits. For sheet metal, they are the tool of choice, and I've never had a problem, past an old dull step bit, and then, I just had to push harder!

Got a pic? I don't understand the problem, especially if it's only 10 gauge.

Bill
I used quite a powerful drill on a high speed I was pushing quite hard the cabinet is preety big, heavy and the cabinet was moving a bit on the locked mobile base. Oh and I did remove the plastic tip from the bit:) Attached some pics.
Attachments
DSCN5255 (Small).JPG
DSCN5256 (Small).JPG
DSCN5257 (Small).JPG
pollys1dad

Post by pollys1dad »

spro wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:57 pm Have you considered "punch die" sets? All you need is a start hole to fit the tightening bolt. No chips flying everywhere.
Okay, looking back, it is a really small hole.
Punch die set, never heard of those. Have ordered a 20mm bi metal hole saw at a reasonable price that had lot of decent reviews on Amazon, which I take as being genuine, Amazon are meant to be cracking down on the bogus positive, negative reviews. The small hole was as far as I got with the step bit.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I have never had a problem drilling a hole in sheet metal with a step drill.
You either have a very dull tip on the step drill, you are rotating it the wrong way, or you don't have enough feed force.
Or.....that's not sheet metal? It should still penetrate thicker material however.

What is the RPM of that little drill? I generally use a conventional handheld drill, but occasionally a drill press.

Bill
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Knock-out punch set. (No power tools required)
Greenlee is top of the line. There are less expensive sets available. There are also hydraulicy operated sets.

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/60060100

Bill
pollys1dad

Post by pollys1dad »

OK live and learn :) I'll make a mental note of that, pretty pricey though, just to get a hole. Though if a metalworker can appreciate would get probably a lot of use and worth the cost.
How would those manual knock out punches actually work?
Thanks.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Electricians use them all the time.
You drill a hole, assemble the punch in the hole, and turn it with a ratchet & socket. It cuts a clean sharp edge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE4HG8qROUs

Bill
pollys1dad

Post by pollys1dad »

I see how it works now, clever invention, never knew about them.
Thanks.