New in town

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

whateg0

Re: New in town

Post by whateg0 »

A few days ago, Lew mentioned the word billet. Then today, somebody posted on Facebook about a modification to their 3d printer and I couldn't help but lol!
Screenshot_20200228-101510_Facebook.jpg
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

What about brass?
Not as expensive as bronze, More expensive than stainless I guess, works easy, is heavy enough.

Stainless is hard stuff to work, and for this application hardness is not required.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

liveaboard wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:47 am Stainless is hard stuff to work, and for this application hardness is not required.
That isn't always the case. Here in the US, there are options that can be pursued when stainless is desired. Two of them I have considerable experience in machining, they being 303 and 416. 303 is available as 303 S, or 303 Se. The Se has an edge, as it machines slightly nicer, but the difference would be lost on someone without experience, so the S is good, and more readily available. This grade is not heat treatable and not recommended for welding.

416 is the nicest to machine, and is also heat treatable. It's a wonderful solution when a hardened part must be corrosion resistant and easy to machine prior to heat treatment.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.