1" scale steam dome. Turret

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

tetramachine

1" scale steam dome. Turret

Post by tetramachine »

I am going to have some steam domes, sand domes and turret covers cast for me. While there is only one set I need, looking to see if there is any interest out there for them.

These will be copies of the domes on my LE Pacific, which is a 1" scale. Cast will be done in AL. The patterns will be done in plastic. Timeline is dependent on foundry.

Looking for interest at this time, not orders.

Pm or post your interest.
Tom
My wheels don't slow me down
Marty_Knox

Re: 1" scale steam dome. Turret

Post by Marty_Knox »

Some pictures would help.
ICC2411

Post by ICC2411 »

I would be interested. Are them same design as the originals? Price would be good also.
Thank you,
Joe
tetramachine

Post by tetramachine »

Yes, these will be copied from the LE that I have. No idea of cost yet, much will depend on volume produced. Cost of the foundry #1.
My wheels don't slow me down
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

I'd take 2 sets - they'll sit for a while, but eventually will be needed.

Thanks, Steve
12x36 Enco Lathe, 9x42 Bridgeport, SMAW, O/A, Miller MIG w/gas, plasma
Not enough measuring tools...
1.5" Allen Models Consolidation on air.
1" FEF in progress
1" & 3/4" LE Projects
Measure twice, cut once, wait - it was supposed to be brass! :)
ICC2411

Post by ICC2411 »

I'll take a set also.
Thanks, Joe
Kimball McGinley

Post by Kimball McGinley »

Does Little Engines no longer offer these for sale?
Rob Gardner

Post by Rob Gardner »

Kimball,

The 1", 3/4" and 1/2" scale LE parts and inventory have been out of circulation for roughly 20 years now. No word if there is even a glimmer of hope of the smaller scale stuff ever being made available again right now.

Rob
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Someone over in the Pennsylvania area bought the small scale stuff back about 15-20 years ago when Mike V. bought the LE 1 1/2" scale stuff from Clarke or whoever it was. I want to say the guy who bought the small scale stuff was Russell Stewart, but I can't be positive on that. For a little while he sold stuff, if he happened to have it in stock. I was going to buy some 1/2" scale coupler castings from him, but he didn't have any of the knuckles for them, only the bronze body/shank. He was going to get those knuckles cast, he told me, but I never heard anything from him again after that. It was probably 10-12 years ago or more. I've tried to contact him several times, but I never heard back after the first couple of times. None of that stuff has been available for at least 10 years now. If you need something to finish up a project in the smaller scales, at this point you will need to come up with a plan that doesn't involve getting it from LE. By the way: They had products all the way down to 1/4" scale (O gage). It was really neat stuff... But I will be surprised if it is ever available again.
jmpharrington

Post by jmpharrington »

I'd be interested.

I ordered and received two dome castings, and a smokebox front & door from Clark Sims while he was still in business 15 years ago or so... They must have been some of the last items on the shelf.
One of the domes is clearly for a larger diameter boiler, the fileted portion of the domes where they meet the boiler are not symmetrical, and all of the castings are of poor quality. Too bad this stuff is not currently available. Based on the castings, I imagine the patterns were in pretty rough shape at that time.

-Jimmy
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Russell Stewart did say that some of the patterns needed to be fixed. might be a big part of the problem. some of these patterns might be 70+ years old by now. some of the small scale stuff from the 80s was done in aluminum to save money, including some small scale drive wheels!
steveleatherman

Post by steveleatherman »

I would be interested in a set as well.
Owner/Operator of BoilerSaver - "Ask the User" - www.boilersaver.com

Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next without any loss of enthusiasm :D