Coles Worthington Model Steam Pump

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Grant J

Re: Coles Worthington Model Steam Pump

Post by Grant J »

My build of the Countess
My build of the Countess
Chris Hollands

Post by Chris Hollands »

I have a Keith Watson Worthington duplex pump casting set that has full plans and I started machining the main body .
Not sure what scale it is but its quite large probably to suit his 2.5 scale engines he has done over the years , the body measures about 9.5" long with I think 5/8 bore pistons i'm sure it moves quite a bit of water when required .
Keith was a very good salesman and he convinced me to buy it off him for the challenger as I was going to put it in the tender which will not happen now as I have SS injectors .
If any one is interested I will dig out the plans and the rest of the castings , postage may not be cheap this is a heavy casting set .
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

it takes very little work to modify a bill van brocklin vertical pump to be a horizontal. i have one under the cab of my 3/4" hudson - looks like a stoker engine but is actually a water pump.

runs fine and a proven design requiring no castings.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
bill4227

Post by bill4227 »

For something similar to the Coles Worthington pump look at the Mich-Cal No2 pump drawings in Live Steam Oct 1986 and Dec 1986. This might be what you want. This uses no castings.

Bill
SZuiderveen

Post by SZuiderveen »

bill4227 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:07 pm For something similar to the Coles Worthington pump look at the Mich-Cal No2 pump drawings in Live Steam Oct 1986 and Dec 1986. This might be what you want. This uses no castings.

Bill
Note the end of this clip to see a Bill Harris Worthington pump run. https://youtu.be/KK7GQqPDZUk
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Dave:
What's left of my memory thinks someone in Australia has some nice castings for a similar pump. I don't remember where but you might try contacting these:
sales@ejwinter.com.au
sales@dncsystems.dynalias.com
warrick_sandberg@hotmail.com
I know for certain that there was an article about it in Australian Model Engineering magazine. You can contact them here: https://www.ameng.com.au/contact_the_au ... gazine.htm
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Chris Hollands

Post by Chris Hollands »

The castings I have are Australian ones from Keith Watson ( Wato Loco Works ).

Also there is a similar duplex pump from the UK - Southworth Engines in Chesterfield UK and a build series in UK model engineer magazine -

June 93 and Jan 94
binnaway

Post by binnaway »

There are articles in the Australian Model Engineering back issues 113, 114, 115, and 117 but they used castings to build the pump

Regards

Garry