Flywheels

This forum is for Internal Combustion Engines such as Hit 'n Miss, Throttle Goverened One Lungers etc. Repair, Machining, Operation, Buy/Sell/Trade of these engines are all topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

DIX

Flywheels

Post by DIX »

I've designed an antique looking stationary engine and the key part as Murphy would have it turns out to be the simplest-- FLYWHEELS!
Hard to believe a simple flywheel would stop my project. Where can I get a couple of flywheels about 14" diameter and 1" inch thick -- or thereabouts?
Would I be better off hogging them out of 1" thick steel plate? This depends on economics and I hope I can find some affordable flywheels rather than buy a couple of 1" steel plate squares.
I'd appreciate any help or information and comments, please.

Dick
atlantic442

Re: Flywheels

Post by atlantic442 »

Check out Gary Martin's home page, he probably has what you are looking for.
http://www.martinmodel.com

Hans
Orrin

Post by Orrin »

I once purchased a flywheel from CB Schrock. It wasn't quite as large as what you are looking for, but there's a chance he can supply what you need.

http://www.purveyor.com/index.htm

[img]/ubb/images/graemlins/cool.gif"%20alt="[/img]Orrin
So many projects, so little time.
NoBob

Post by NoBob »

Head over to the sporting goods store and review the weights to the bar bell sets. I've looked at them a number of time with that in mind.
Mike in Michigan

Post by Mike in Michigan »

Perhaps a flywheel from an old truck or tractor? You will have to slug the center since most vehicular flywheels have a center hole as well as 6 to 8 bolt holes. Welded up and rebored, no one will ever know.
DIX

Post by DIX »

The solution to obtaining the flywheels I want turned out fairly simple and less expensive than buying an antique or special casting. I bought steel plate and machined the 12" diameter by 1" flywheels out of 12" by 1" steel plate. Finished weight is about 30 pounds. Very nice flywheels if I do say so myself and easy to make but boy what a pile of shavings.
I settled on 12" diameter because the 14" size I originally wanted cost $68 for each piece as compared to $33 for the 12" square. I adjusted other sizes to suit the minor difference in diameter.

Dick
Ted N

Post by Ted N »

Another source for a fly wheel that size would be
bull gears from an older gas tractor like IH or Case.
They are usually spoked not sold. Just zip the teeth off
in the lathe.

Ted