Gaskets for small surfaces

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

flavinny

Gaskets for small surfaces

Post by flavinny »

Making progress on installing a new boiler on my Allen engine but looking for suggestions on "how to".
Before starting the boiler replacement project, I had a problem with the stem on the blowdown valves leaking. I removed the valve and replaced a dried o-ring and reassembled and reinstalled the valve. It now leaked between the two halves of the valve body. The original valve had no gasket, so I initially tried some RTV rubber which did not work. The problem is that the surfaces are so narrow a traditional gasket does not seem to work, the gasket material just gets pushed out. Next option seems to be to try to lap the parts together, but I see the possibility of making things worse. I also considered using Loctite has anyone had experience trying this any other suggestions?
hoppercar

Re: Gaskets for small surfaces

Post by hoppercar »

I use number 2 permatex on everything
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

take a THICK piece of glass and some 2000 grid wet sand paper (used to auto painting)
using a water, likely lap the mating surfaces. use bluing to so you can see the surfaces are true.
then reassembly
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Use a very thin, stiff gasket material such as printer paper. Leave a lot of overhang on the outside and trim it off after assembly.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

What CBrew suggested.
I always lap the blowdown valve halves on a flat plate when servicing them. It is easy to see when the surfaces are shiny flat.
They always seal perfectly that way.
RussN
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Are you sure that there was not a thin copper ring on the inside?
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
RET

Post by RET »

Hi,

CBrew is right, but instead of sandpaper, use polishing paper because it is thinner. I use 400 grit, but while it works, something finer would be better and I use it on a surface plate (because I have one). If you don't, glass is a good substitute. While it may be obvious to most, make sure the abrasive side is up.
I don't use gaskets, I use the lapping method instead and it always works. It doesn't take very long either and when you are done, you will have a mirror surface on the part.

Richard Trounce.
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

RET wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:34 pm Hi,

CBrew is right, but instead of sandpaper, use polishing paper because it is thinner. I use 400 grit, but while it works, something finer would be better and I use it on a surface plate (because I have one). If you don't, glass is a good substitute. While it may be obvious to most, make sure the abrasive side is up.
I don't use gaskets, I use the lapping method instead and it always works. It doesn't take very long either and when you are done, you will have a mirror surface on the part.

Richard Trounce.
likely just used the wrong term, i use four stages when i lapped my valves surfaces, started with 400, 800, 1500 and 2000 grit.
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
Santafescotty60

Post by Santafescotty60 »

Hello Good People ,I have used glass plate, comet and diesel fuel. That is what we lapped fuel injectors on older Mercedes diesels