Cement ties

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

jscarmozza

Re: Cement ties

Post by jscarmozza »

Not going to go that far Keith:) A couple of 1” guys committed to making ties so we can replace rotted wood ties with concrete ties a little at a time. Actually the limiting factor in making the ties has become the scrap plastic lumber we use for the embedded blocks.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Looking good. Very nice looking track bed in your photo. maricopa live steamers has been using cement ties for a number of years now. Slowly converting all their trackage to concrete. Perhaps this has been mentioned previously in the thread - their experience has been that wider and thicker cement ties are necessary to prevent cracking. They use stainless Sheetrock mud trays for molds (15 or so trays fixed in a frame for production work) and embed plastic wall anchor inserts for screw anchors. Each screw expands the plastic anchor against the surrounding cement and prevents the thermal expansion/contracting gap from being a problem. Also they place a length of rebar in each tie for strength. I think their oldest ties are around 7-8 years+ in use now, with no issues.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

I have been following this discussion with interest although I am not a live steamer. I noticed the use of plywood and the problem with its use. I think if you use a form of plywood called MDO, you would eliminate the problem of water absorption and subsequent removal. MDO has a plastic like surface that prevents sticking. It come in single and double sided sheets, 3/4" thick. It is a bit more expensive than regular plywood. It is a great material for all sorts of home projects, like furniture that can be painted afterwards since there are no patches in the surface, If anyone tries making concrete ties, they might try using MDO plywood. I bought a 4x8 sheet of it a few years ago and paid around $100 for it. Its principal use is for highway signs.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi