Old Earle Lathe

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Arbo

Old Earle Lathe

Post by Arbo »

I have available for my use an old Earle Lathe. It is set up to run a 3" flat belt for the drive system. The problem is that the belsts are rotted and unrepairable. I was thinking that it would be safer and maybe easier if it could be converted to a different drive system. I don't know much about it, but there are a series of gears on the end of it. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how I might go about this? I can post pictures if it would help. Thank you.
Arbo & Thor (the junkyard dog)
Harold

Re: Old Earle Lathe

Post by Harold »

Pics would be real helpful. You can get modern replacement flat belts made from fibre. they are real tough. Nothing wrong with a flat belt driven jackshaft with a v belt to the motor. I don't know what your budget is or the condition/worth of this machine is - a VFD would be great but not the cheapest solution.
Measure it with a mic, mark it with chalk, cut it with an axe!
philinmt

Post by philinmt »

You can get belts made but you would probly have to take the lathe apart, or for a good price you could buy poly vee belts and run them on the back side, or if you want to do a real good job and you have more than one lathe you could cut the pullys to fit a poly vee belt ( this will handle 500% more hp than a flat belt)...Lots of luck Phil in Mt
cammer

Post by cammer »

i have a monarch 18x60 flat belt built in 1916 it has lima drive with flat belt works good. i don't know how to post pic on here. if you email me i will email you pictures also a way to drive it thanks jon