Schrader Tap and Die?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Rips

Schrader Tap and Die?

Post by Rips »

I need to locate a Tap and Die for a Schrader valve (external threads).

I believe the specs are 32TPI X .302-.305.

I have a quote for 32-5/16 but I don't think this will work.

Has anyone come across a tap and die specifically for a Schrader Valve?

Btw, my Mini-Shop is 90% setup. Will post pics once I have them. I am really enjoying the lathe and drill press.

John
Mike_Burdick

Re: Schrader Tap and Die?

Post by Mike_Burdick »

John,

As for the tap...

At most auto supply stores they have a "multi" tool that removes and installs the valve. It also has a rethread tap. I don't know if that will work for you but you might ckeck it out.
Jacin

Re: Schrader Tap and Die? - Correction!

Post by Jacin »

My origional post assumed that the 5/16-32 was the right tap and I was wrong. Sorry.
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

Mike, Isn't there a re-thread die on that multi tool also? I have one but it is out in my back shop and I ain't going out there tonight*.

Unka(Too many boogymen out there in the dark!! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/crazy.gif"%20alt="[/img])Jesse
"The same hammer that breaks the glass, forges the steel" Russian proverb
Mike_Burdick

Post by Mike_Burdick »

Jesse,

You're right!

John,

From this site the external thread on a Schrader valve is 0.302 x 32tpi UNS like you said. They also claim the have these tap and dies available in HSS but the company is located in Australia. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/frown.gif"%20alt="[/img]

http://www.classicfasteners.com.au/Tech ... hrader.htm

You might give this company a call and see what they can do:
http://www.tapcousa.com/
Rips

Post by Rips »

Tapcousa gave me a quote for a .302-32tpi tap - $80 US!

If anyone has seen one for cheaper or where to find the Die, please let me know.

Thanks,

John
Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer »

If you do not have a large run to do and you are not threading hardened Steel, make a tap from Drill Rod, thread it in the lathe and then flute it & harden it and use it to make a matching die from Drill Rod, which you also harden before using..
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
Bill_Cook

Post by Bill_Cook »

The Machinerys HB has the size. I believe it is a /32's designation. Can't look it up as the handbook is somewhere in a storage unit waiting to be moved into the "new" place.

bc
BC

If there was only one way to do each machining job, the smell of sulphurized cutting oil smoke would have fewer fond memories.
Rips

Post by Rips »

Making my own tap and die is a super idea. I went to the metal store and for some reason they did not have drill rod or HSS. It is a special order item. Do you think I can use an old HSS drill bit in place of the drill rod? Is there some other source of drill rod? (i live in toronto, ontario, canada)

I've been testing the threading feature of the lathe in the mean time with some soft metal and not having much luck. I just need to get the hang of aligning the tool on the threads on multiple passes. I've tried using the thread feed dial and simply running the lathe backwards after moving the bit off the part. No luck. I'll continue more experiments on the weekend. It is so damn finicky.

John