Grizzly Industrial G9729 Combo Mill/Lathe

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

FredR

Grizzly Industrial G9729 Combo Mill/Lathe

Post by FredR »

Well, I started off having a problem almost straight out of the crate with my G9729. Although I waited almost a year to the day to uncrate it, I found out I had a bad motor. Griz tech support didn't want to help me since my warranty had run out by 3 days. I called Customer Service and talked with a real nice lady named Shauna. I told her I was a first time customer and that I had the machine in storage for all that time and had never used it. She took all my info and what had all happened and told me that she was going straight to her supervisor but it may be a day or two before he got back with me. Then out of the blue, she called me back in a couple of hours and said to ship the motor to them and they would check it out and either fix it or replace it, and even said that they were going to refund the return shipping on the motor. So, I have to say, that even *IF* this a crappy machine, their customer service is a good group of people and that Griz stands behind their stuff, even when the warranty runs out.

Fred
rasommer2002

Re: Grizzly Industrial G9729 Combo Mill/Lathe

Post by rasommer2002 »

What was the problem Fred. Did the motor not start, or did it burn up after some use.

The reason for my question is that I had the same problem with my HF 44142. Out of the box it would not start, until I realized (after much searching on the Internet) that there is a hidden safety switch built into the mill head. Unless one of the mill head cover bolts/knobs (the one towards the spindle) is in place and tightened, the whole machine will not start. No lathe, mill, or anything.

You may have already been aware of the safety switch, in that case please excuse the long winded explanantion.

Regards;
Ray
FredR

Post by FredR »

What was the problem Fred. Did the motor not start, or did it burn up after some use.

The reason for my question is that I had the same problem with my HF 44142. Out of the box it would not start, until I realized (after much searching on the Internet) that there is a hidden safety switch built into the mill head. Unless one of the mill head cover bolts/knobs (the one towards the spindle) is in place and tightened, the whole machine will not start. No lathe, mill, or anything.

You may have already been aware of the safety switch, in that case please excuse the long winded explanantion.

Regards;
Ray

After about 1hr or so of running (off and on) the run capacitor started blowing. Rather, the first one blew and I replaced it. The second blew, I replaced it and the 3rd started getting REAL hot. So I cut it off and called Griz for the 3rd time. I thought it was the start cap. but after taking the cover off the other cap, I found out that it was the run cap instead.
Yeah, the Grizzly has the same thing. I know electronics pretty good, but it took me forever to figure that one out. I still haven't figured out how they have it mounted onto the threaded rod [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smirk.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Fred
Jon Leary

Post by Jon Leary »

Funny thing is I had the same problem with my 9729, blew two capacitors on the lathe motor (1st one exploded like a fire cracker, 2nd one blew the end out) this happened within the first month or so. Then about a year or so later the Cap on the mill motor blew. The motors are running fine the last few years without the caps that blew. I can't tell you if they are start or run. I never did contact grizzly about it as I live in Alaska and shipping motors back and forth would cost more than a new motor. Jon
thudbranch

Post by thudbranch »

I too found out the hard way about the safety switch on the belt cover screw for the mill drive. the switch is hidden inside and a pin located withing the mounting support is pushed in by the mounting bolt. I realized that the way it is currently designed that one can defeat the safety switch simply by screwing in the mounting screw and leave off the cover entirely. This is NOT A SAFE DESIGN. If any H.F. people read this you are open for a lawsuit regarding this safety switch-- the switch does not detect the presence of the cover-- only of the bolt.

Greg
tailshaft56

Post by tailshaft56 »

Hello Fred.

Glad to see you got your mill up and running. Even though you had to store it for a while you did save some money. Grizz just had a pretty good price increase. Guess we can't complain too much since this is the first one in acouple off years.

Dennis
Dennis

Thermal Arc 185-TS
Millermatic Challenger 172
Victor O/A
Atlas Craftsman 12 by 24 Lathe
Esab PCM-875
Wholesale Tool Mill-Drill
FredR

Post by FredR »

Funny thing is I had the same problem with my 9729, blew two capacitors on the lathe motor (1st one exploded like a fire cracker, 2nd one blew the end out) this happened within the first month or so. Then about a year or so later the Cap on the mill motor blew. The motors are running fine the last few years without the caps that blew. I can't tell you if they are start or run. I never did contact grizzly about it as I live in Alaska and shipping motors back and forth would cost more than a new motor. Jon

Well, I thought I had posted a response to this already, but I guess I didn't. But to make a long story short, I sent them my original motor and I recieved word today that the run windings were burned up and a replacement was sent out yesterday and I should recieve it tommorrow (friday). I have to say that Grizzley has been great by far.

Fred
Jon Leary

Post by Jon Leary »

Glad grizzly is taking care of the problems. Another thing that happened to my mill motor, it wouldn't run full speed in reverse for a while but now it runs fine in either direction. Have you modified anything on your machine? I have done a few things to make it easier to run. Jon
FredR

Post by FredR »

Glad grizzly is taking care of the problems. Another thing that happened to my mill motor, it wouldn't run full speed in reverse for a while but now it runs fine in either direction. Have you modified anything on your machine? I have done a few things to make it easier to run. Jon

Well, I got the motor in, installed it and it ran fine in forward and tripped the built in protection circuit in reverese. Thought I pinched a wire, but soon found out it was wired for 220v instead of the 110v that it said on the plate. Easy enough to fix. Runs like a champ.
No, I haven't done anything to it. Haven't had it out of the box long enough to do anything before the motor crapped out [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smirk.gif"%20alt="[/img] You got hints I should know about?

Fred
Jon Leary

Post by Jon Leary »

I've modified several things, nothing major. 1. Made some knurled aluminum knobs for the mill belt cover. 2. setup the change gear so they can be switched without tools. 3. scribed a scale on the tailstock ram and mill a groove for a stop screw. 4. Made a one piece captive T bolt for the 4" mill vice and the compound and quick remove screw for the crossfeed wheel so the vice and compound can be swapped quick. 5. Made a cats head for the back of the headstock. It replaced 1/2 the locknut. 6. made a scale for the fine feed on the mill that reads in .001. 7. there is an extra groove in the change gear plate that I made a shaft for so I can cut lefthand threads. Thats all I can think of now. Jon
joahmon

Post by joahmon »

Jon,
I am very interested in how you modified the change gear setup.
Bob
FredR

Post by FredR »

Jon,
I am very interested in how you modified the change gear setup.
Bob

Me 2. In fact, I would like to get pics of your changes if you would. I know not all of them I want to tackle, but a couple of things anyway.
Fred