On the workbench

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

willjordan

On the workbench

Post by willjordan »

It's that time of the year, with those of us in Northern North America getting ready to store our equipment until spring, to contemplate the projects for this coming shop season. Post a note to identify what you plan to work on this shop season.
grace & peace
will

[url=http://willjordan.com]Will's Web Pages[/url]
willjordan

Re: On the workbench

Post by willjordan »

Here are some of the projects that may take my time and effort this fall and winter.
  • Finishing the Falk Cylinders/Running Gear
  • Finishing the Falk Boiler (this will require finishing the power drop for the welder)
  • My PMR Vertical Engine
  • My 2 Worthington Duplex Pumps
  • A test boiler, either VFT or scotch based on 6" pipe shell.
  • Handcar Projects: Writing an article on my handcar, sending it off to a publisher and/or web publishing it.
  • Designing (and possibly building) a new handcar that will allow two kids to work together. [A bit longer than my current handcar with lower seats at both ends.)
  • A side dump ballast car.
  • A pair of disconnects (disconnected truck log cars)
Of course, I won't finish all of these, but I'll give it a try. I'll feel happy if I finish one or more of them.
I got the Livesteam Booklet on the Bill Harris Donkey and have plans for a Willamette Duplex Loader and a small two-cylinder reversing throttle engine. I reserve the right to abandon a planned project for some other form of monomania that may strike as I enter the shop.

...But first, I have to put the trains away and clear the shop.
grace & peace
will

[url=http://willjordan.com]Will's Web Pages[/url]
bbenjamin

Post by bbenjamin »

Once I get done with the club engine overhaul, open house, finish track bender for expansion, I may get back to thinking of a engine project. Knocking around idea of a 2.5 scale class A climax, maybe just a dream, who knows.
MichaelReb

Post by MichaelReb »

Here's my list.

1. First up is FIND A HOUSE WITH A GARAGE / SHOP!!!
(I hate being homeless, yep i'm fully employed and paid by Uncle Sam yet have no place to call home)

2. Find a Mentor, someone to teach me things and say "your doing it wrong"

3. Figure out that Atomizer steam valve
4. Rearange the track plan in my trailer
5. Build a tool car to store and transport all my steamer supplies/tools
6. Build a bobber caboose
7. Build at least one of my hopper cars (can you believe it's been 4 years?)
8. Figure out if I want to change my Challenger into a Northern
9. Fix a leaking steam fitting on my engine brake valve.
10. Build a second cab for my steamer, I need more room in thar.
11. Clean my steam engine

Well, that's about all I can think of at the moment.
FLSTEAM

Re: On the workbench ( & FLoor )

Post by FLSTEAM »

I have so many projects on the bench and floor I can't get in the shop to work on them!!

John
mrb37211

Post by mrb37211 »

I'm accumulating toward a 2-1/2" scale Class A.... Maybe we can swap ideas from time to time.

My to-do list:

Build yard building, replacing rusted out and now gone steel storage building.

Set up my shop in garage which will become available when I move stuff into yard building.

Need to finish tweaking the Gold Bug (Cli-Shay)...

1) be sure the valve timing is as good as I can make it, then add second set screws to eccentrics,
2) add second safety valve with pressure different from the present one,
3) fix bolster pins on trucks,
4) may be time to replace chains.

More I would like to do, but that'll eat up the winter, I think.

Charles
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

I have only the Bernay engine project plus a few changes to the injector feed water system on my Filer and Stowell. Been dragging my tail on the Bernay (see attachment) all summer, mostly because of general laziness. Maybe I need some pep pills. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smile.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Unka(Should have picked up some at a truck stop when we were returning from MSLS meet [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/tongue.gif"%20alt="[/img]Jesse
"The same hammer that breaks the glass, forges the steel" Russian proverb
willy

Post by willy »

I have this mad notion I might see about building a speeder. Something for Amy to ride.

Otherwise I still have that incomplete Tiny Power #104 in the basement to work on. This of course if I can get myself away from playing at Runescape

Willy
pockets

Post by pockets »

You are gonna write that up, for Clover, aren't you. I, for one, would sure like to see it in print.

Keep 'em comin', Jesse,
Greg B.
When the man at the door said, "Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms," I naturally assumed it was a delivery.....

"From my cold, dead hand!" C. Heston
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

The following is sort of posted in reverse order, as each thing sort of depends on the things below it.

The Virginia is going to stay on the back burner until I've done enough machining that I figure I won't ruin any expensive castings that cost a bundle and need to be shipped from England. I'm very much a novice at this.

So the current project, so that the kids and I can get on the rails sooner, is to build an electric J-70 or Y-6 tram engine (that's Toby from the Thomas railway series for you guys that don't have little kids). Building in 1" scale 4-3/4" gauge, because that's what I have for a riding car to go with the 3-1/2" gauge Virginia. I have a design for the chassis and I'm looking at what motors I can fit in it.

To get there, I have to do some re-arranging of the workshop, get rid of some stuff to make room (and through sales of some of it on ebay, provide funding).

I also need to make a collet drawbar for my mill, as it came with the wrong collets and drawbar (anyone need 2H Hendy collets and drawbar?).

Also, to keep the wife happy, I need to put up shelves around the breakfast nook in the kitchen.
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

That is my intention Greg. The CAD drawings were made by ME Bill Bowser of Cincinatti and are a work of art so it will be a joint effort. I have started machining on the main base/block and have bored (and reamed) the 7/8" bores of the cylinders. Gonna slick them up a wee bit with a brake cylinder hone tomorrow though they are already slicker than owl grease. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/laugh.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Unka(Don't tell Harold Vordos I used a reamer and brake hone or he will drum me out of the lodge for sure! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/frown.gif"%20alt="[/img])Jesse
"The same hammer that breaks the glass, forges the steel" Russian proverb
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Unka(Don't tell Harold Vordos I used a reamer and brake hone or he will drum me out of the lodge for sure! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/frown.gif"%20alt="[/img])Jesse

If only I had the power! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]

As far as I'm concerned, that should be good for life in front of the firing squad. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/shocked.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.