Mechanical Lubricator vs Displacement Lubricator

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

wbarbe

Mechanical Lubricator vs Displacement Lubricator

Post by wbarbe »

I have seen several different vendors that sell mechanical lubricators. Some list "clutch bearings", others have a rachet. What type works best? I have a Clishay which has a small two cylinder engine. Currently is has a displacement lubricator on it, but I was thinking of changing to something mechanical. What do you guys think?
Bill
willy

Re: Mechanical Lubricator vs Displacement Lubricat

Post by willy »

Definately go with a mechanical!

Clutch over ratchet. The ratchet will operate the pump based on how may teeth you engage. IE if the arm goes across 2.5 teeth your pump will move on 2 only. The clutch doesnt use teeth to engage the pump. So if it goes 2.5 the pump is worked that distance.

I hope this helps.

If you do have it in your budget to get a double ram this would be better for lubrication.

Willy

PS my steamer with 4" bore with a 5" stroke gets one drop of oil for every 30 feet traveled. I have been told this is still too much. Yet I would rather it have a little to much than go dry.
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

I have to disagree with you Willy
I have owned two clutch type mechanical lubricators and I have had a lot of problems with clutchs no grabbing, the shaft and in turn NOT pumping oil to my cylinders

This winter I will be converting to a "Managed" displacement type lubricator, this way I can control the oil supply to the cylinders
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
mrb37211

Re: Mechanical Lubricator vs Displacement Lubricator

Post by mrb37211 »

My Cli-Shay (aka Gold Bug) has a pump(?) lubricator which uses steam pressure in one cylinder to force steam/cylinder oil out of another one into the steam line where -- hopefully -- it is vaporized by the steam. The locomotive builder initially used the mechanical lubricator described by Bob Maynard in the late 1970s Live Steam how-to series, but later replaced it with this one, which was based on a design by Unka Jesse as published in his Live Steam series on building the F&S loco (late 1990s). Here, hopefully, is a picture. Steam goes in the pipe at the bottom, oil goes out the pipe at the top and into the steam line, oli is squirted into the fitting at the right of the top, pushing the steam piston down at the same time. I currently use about one cylinder full of oil and one bunker full of coal and half the water I carry during a run. When I go in to fill up the coal, I need to fill the water tanks, fill the oil pump, dump the ashes, and maybe clean the flues. Charles
mrb37211

Post by mrb37211 »

Oh, I forgot to mention...in the picture you can see that the piston in the bottom cylinder is at the limit of its travel, indicating that the oil has all been used. Charles
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

Willy,
I have to agree with Chris, the clutch-type works well when new, and it's what the newer loco designs seemed to call for by default, but as soon as the shaft has a little wear or gets out of round problems of inconsistant feed begin. That can be remedied by installing new shaft, but a well-designed ratchet style is like Energizer Bunny, it keeps going and going and going . . . and besides, I like the click-click-click, click-click-click sound they make. The other thing is I can make my own ratchets from drill rod.

PS - I forgot to weigh in on your intitial question, I would go to a mechanical lubricator.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
willy

Post by willy »

Point noted on the ratchet. I too have only had locomotives with the ratchet. Alas no first hand experience with the clutch type. My err.

Willy
Dave_Johnson

Post by Dave_Johnson »

I have both the rachet and clutch lubricators on my locomotives. Both have worked flawlessly with extensive use.

I believe that problems with the clutch type lubricators are probably due to soft shafts.

Dave Johnson
MichaelReb

Post by MichaelReb »

Any one still have the plans for this? I'd like to look into it.

I need to install a bigger steam oil resivoir on my loco cause I run out too fast.

Was thinking about a managed displacement oil feed on the engine I'm building.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

the pump type goes back to the 1970's or so. i saw it in LS designed by the guy who used to make the water and air pumps, can't remember his name. i copied his design and use it to feed sight glasses ala British model engineering.

attached is my drawing for the pump.
fred v
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

Fred, Charles, the design I used on the F&S is one that was given to me by Bill Conner and is the one he uses on his highly successful beam engines. I built a ratchet type lubricator for my RRSC American, but got to worrying about its possibly failing so never installed it. Brad Smith uses a Don Orr mechanical lubricator on his copy of the F&S and is very happy with it. I think it is a matter of preference, but the type in your drawing is capable of holding much more oil than most mechanical ones in our small equipment.

As to the hydrostatic type, full sized locomotives relied on them and had them on the backhead where the fireman could keep them filled as well as making any adjustments needed as to the flow. I like hydrostatic lubricators and have them on my Shay and Falk where they have worked out just fine.

Unka(Matter of preference)Jesse
"The same hammer that breaks the glass, forges the steel" Russian proverb