Atlas Shapers

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Al_Messer

Atlas Shapers

Post by Al_Messer »

Any one know of an Atlas Shaper in good shape for sale at a reasonable price in the Middle Tennessee area? I'm a user, not a collector.
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
Tom_Wade

Re: Atlas Shapers

Post by Tom_Wade »

Al,
Hate to be a dummy, but what is a shaper?

Tom
Tel

Post by Tel »

Hmmm.... this could be a LOOOOONG night
Tel
ttyR2

Post by ttyR2 »

Have a look at Atlas shaper

A shaper removes metal one stroke at a time. If you look at the picture it's pretty self explanatory. The shaper functions like a knife, peeling off the metal as it goes.

Shapers come up for sale on ebay pretty frequently.
Thanks,
ttyR2
Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer »

True, they do show up on E-bay, but I'm a potential user, not a well-heeled collector and the ones I've seen on E-bay were 'way out of reach for my billfold.
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
ttyR2

Post by ttyR2 »

The fellow at http://www.mermac.com/mach.html has one for sale, small 7" Atlas, bottom of the page.
Thanks,
ttyR2
Matt_Isserstedt

The Great Shaper Conundrum

Post by Matt_Isserstedt »

Midsize and Large shapers are Low Cost
Small Shapers are High Cost

A couple specs, my Atlas 7" shaper is around 250# while my 14" Steptoe shaper is around 3000#.

[img]/ubb/images/graemlins/ooo.gif"%20alt="[/img]I paid 3 times for the Atlas what I did for the Steptoe. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/shocked.gif"%20alt="[/img] The Steptoe is filled with fine features, is solidly built and has more oomph!

The main challenges were moving such a beast (I was OK here) and having 3 phase power available (also had it). These might pose some additional challenges for those who hadn't collected a few machines.

But you see my point, you can own a shaper for cheap. Just get ready to clear some real-estate!
Roy

Re: The Great Shaper Conundrum

Post by Roy »

If that isn't the facts...Small is big$$$$$ big is small bucks or most of the time free for the hauling. I had been offered a nice 14" step toe a few years ago for free, just had to get it out of the shop. Ignorant of the fact on 3 phase rotary convertors back then and alsodid not want to spend money on converting or trying to convert with a single phase motor. I had up until a year or so also had offers of free shapers, but due to the distance involved could not take tme off of work to go pick them up. Now that I am retired, I have yet to hear of any FREE shapers in a while.

Heard an interesting story on a lad that was offered a free shaper. He lived in SC, and the Shaper was in south Fl. He arrived in a Buick La Sabre to pick it up, along with some old lathe. He tried taking off his trucnk lid to make it fit, but it put too much weight back past the rear axle, so he removed the rear seat, and dissassembled the shaper so it wold all fit in the passenger comnpartment, and put the lathe in the front passenger compartment. He still had a trucnk full of tools he had brought, as well as al the other accessories for the shaper and lathe. Said he left from there a lot lower to the ground than when he arrived, and had to put some blocks etc n his springs to help keep the tires from rubbing n the fender wells. The individual that gave the stuff away refused to help him load the stuff, but it had to be gone, and he did not want to be part of any disaster, so he put the stuff outside his door, and said it dissapeared Great, if not it would go to the scrap yard the next day.

Anyone ever see thephoto of that overloaded car with a heap of plywood and dimensional lumber loaded on the rood and in the back hatch with all the tires flat and the rear suspension poked up through the rear floorboards setting along the road not far from IIRC a HOme Depot store, either in Florida or NJ? Pretty neat.
Roy

Re: The Great Shaper Conundrum

Post by Roy »

If that isn't the facts...Small is big$$$$$ big is small bucks or most of the time free for the hauling. I had been offered a nice 14" step toe a few years ago for free, just had to get it out of the shop. Ignorant of the fact on 3 phase rotary convertors back then and alsodid not want to spend money on converting or trying to convert with a single phase motor. I had up until a year or so also had offers of free shapers, but due to the distance involved could not take tme off of work to go pick them up. Now that I am retired, I have yet to hear of any FREE shapers in a while. Have Pickup and lots of time now and will travel.......if one or other thigs ever come up again.

Heard an interesting story on a lad that was offered a free shaper. He lived in SC, and the Shaper was in south Fl. He arrived in a Buick La Sabre to pick it up, along with some old lathe. He tried taking off his trucnk lid to make it fit, but it put too much weight back past the rear axle, so he removed the rear seat, and dissassembled the shaper so it wold all fit in the passenger comnpartment, and put the lathe in the front passenger compartment. He still had a trucnk full of tools he had brought, as well as al the other accessories for the shaper and lathe. Said he left from there a lot lower to the ground than when he arrived, and had to put some blocks etc n his springs to help keep the tires from rubbing n the fender wells. The individual that gave the stuff away refused to help him load the stuff, but it had to be gone, and he did not want to be part of any disaster, so he put the stuff outside his door, and said it dissapeared Great, if not it would go to the scrap yard the next day.

Anyone ever see thephoto of that overloaded car with a heap of plywood and dimensional lumber loaded on the rood and in the back hatch with all the tires flat and the rear suspension poked up through the rear floorboards setting along the road not far from IIRC a HOme Depot store, either in Florida or NJ? Pretty neat.
Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer »

How's the Cygnet doing? I see you have posted a picture of it.
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
generic

Being at the right place at the right time :)

Post by generic »

2 weeks ago I could have given you a 9" south bend shaper.

I dont know if its still available. (Cincinnati).

Excellent condition. Clapper box needed something done?
No vise. But a heavy dude for what little floor space it used.
I had it for about 10 years in a back room awaiting my efforts to use it.
Finally let the house go and new owners are already in it getting it ready for a rehab for rental.
Dont know if they've made it to the back room yet.
My rollback is sitting in the yard for me to pick up and didnt want to start the other day cause of humidity.

About 3 months ago I posted msg on the board about a shaper looking for a home. No response.

Shame. It was a nice one.
GeneT

Re: Being at the right place at the right time :)

Post by GeneT »

Augghhhh! (heart failure) Where is it? I don't need it, and would pass if someone did, but I can't stand to think of one of those magnificent machines going to the scrap heap. If it needs rescuing near Oregon, please post a location. Thanks,
GsT