Bees in shop wall

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

Herm Williams

Bees in shop wall

Post by Herm Williams »

Any one had any luck getting rid of these pests. It is plain old honey bees? I have tried to kill them with CO2 but it didn't do the job, too much leakage probably. Would a hose to the exhaust of a gas engine do any good? I need ideas.
tia
re [/code]
Steve_in_Mich

Post by Steve_in_Mich »

Ideas that come to mind. Contact a bee keeper (if they are honey bees) they may come and take the whole swarm off your hands. Check bee keepers in the yellow pages. If that fails call the local fire department I would guess they have experience whith such matters.

I don't see that your engine exhaust wouldn't work - worth a try anyway. Toss in some mothballs too. I have no idea if mothballs will work or not but as long as you are experimenting, why not.
Just because you don’t believe it - doesn’t mean it’s not so.
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

If they are honey bees they should be saved. If anything else, what was posted on other boards was to turn a shop vac on then plug it in about 50' away. Let it do the work when placed near opening. Clean out later or scrounge a throwaway at a yard sale.
Steve_in_Mich

Post by Steve_in_Mich »

When you get done with the Shop Vac, you can describe it on eBay.

Shop Vac keeps on buzzing and buzzing without power!
Just because you don’t believe it - doesn’t mean it’s not so.
Flybynight

Post by Flybynight »

I have a big trouble with Wasps in my shop.
I just by some of the wasp killer.
Works great.
Might work on bees also. :shock:
Jim
Last edited by Flybynight on Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
jw_clarke54

bees in wall

Post by jw_clarke54 »

check with local bee keeper first!!!! make sure there not the south american species thats really AGGRESIVE!!!! those bees dont give up the chase and niose makes them madder than hell..... good luck
JeffinWIS

Post by JeffinWIS »

I've had the bees/hornets/yellow jackets...whatever they are that live in a hole in the ground in the yard several times. No good for mowing or especially the kids. The shop-vac method hasn't failed yet.
steamin10

wasps

Post by steamin10 »

If they are honey bees they should be saved. if it is hornets/ wasps/ yellow jackets, getrid of em. A wet vac, with a little dish soap in a gallon of water is the answer. Plug it in, and use cheap sump pump hose to extend the business to wherever you need. Tape/ wire/ fix it to the area where the habitat hole is and turn it on about two hours before dusk, turn off at full dark. no chemicals, no fuss, just drowned pests.
A good swarm of honey bees are worth about 75 dollars now.
I had a freind who had real honey bees move into a garage wall, and fill two sections with honey comb alll summer long. In the fall, on a bright day, he would take down a sheet of plywood he had there for the purpose fo taking a lot of honey comb. he was able to do this for many years, getting about a hundred pound of bee soup and comb each year. I tried to get bees to do the same for me and could not. And once they were gone for him, they were gone.
Last edited by steamin10 on Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Shields

Crude Solution

Post by Bill Shields »

I drilled into the walls out around the periphery of the nest and filled the entire area with expanding foam insulation out of several aerosol cans.

Did it at night...damned the damn things in...they all died shortly thereafter...hive still there for all I know...that was years ago and I am not that interested to dig the wall out and look. :shock:
spro

bees

Post by spro »

Well the thread was most enjoyable.In perverse way since I had my share of bees and hornets.I look forward to many more such experience for that means the clock is still ticking.These are critters and it doesn't stop there Bill S. While the hive may be walled up there are other vermin who will seek this out.There can be an ant nest like crazy going on later with what's left.These ants will be even more of pest than the bees.
Bill Shields

ants

Post by Bill Shields »

if they can get to it....

can chocolate cover ants and put them on ice cream....
morsetaper2

Post by morsetaper2 »

The best way to get rid of a hornets nest is to close a briefcase around the nest. Then leave the briefcase at a busy street corner. Park nearby and watch the fun. :shock: