Roll Former

Sheet Metal Fabrication techniques, questions and help. "Tricks of the Trade"

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Jacin

Re: Jacin, about that table

Post by Jacin »

Hi Steve, Yes that is a swivel mount for the vise. Though it is a project in the works I finally started this bench with a few ideas first (I usually skip that and regret it [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/wink.gif"%20alt="[/img] ) The swiveling vise is handy when I am working on rather large sheets of alum or steel.

Anyways I have incorporated several "gadgets" into my bench. Enough that is has been called my "Swiss Army Bench" so named by a friend.

Anyways it includes a built in pivoting seat (insulated)- which can be stored underneath and out of the way. Also the seat top slides in/out to achieve a comfortable position regardless of where you're using it.

I also added a couple of tubes for TIG rod storage - keeps em at arms length and at my finger tips not to mention clean.

The air hammer mounted on it can also pivot down and under -again for self storage.

The bench is mounted on wheels - and has a "step brake" on one end so it is rock solid (no rocking) once positioned.

Also there is a "Hammer rack" that again pivots off of one leg - again keeps hammers and such at my finger tips. It pivots under for self storage.

There is also a "air fitting" underneath which includes both a filter and small hose reel. Perfect to keep those hoses out of the way.

I included a pic that shows a couple of the features. This was definitely a good project for me since it does save alot of time when using it.
Roy

Post by Roy »

Have to agree, thats sure a spiffy looking bench, especially the pivoting vise. I added thinwall tube for my rod holders, only thing is they hold the rods vertical, so they are also dirt collection traps. I like the idea of having them on a slight slant and uner the lip of the table, probably cuts way down on catching debris.

I regards to the slip rolls and the English wheel....I think a slip roll would suit the majority of my types of projects best. The English wheel is amazing though, and the ones I have seen on the internet for sale, well, just lets say they are quite proud of them for the money asked, ($3500.00 > ) for nothing more than square tube etc welded up for a frame......but its interesting just the same.
Jacin

Post by Jacin »

Roy, the horizontal tubes work great - especially since they're back under the table edge. I highly reccomend it [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smile.gif"%20alt="[/img]

I wasn't (totally trying to talk you out of the slip rolls, but I will say that the Ewheel is far more versatile. As for the high cost - I definitely agree. But then again I built mine for right around $200 total- considering they get $150 for EACH lower anvil I figure my total cost ain't so bad <grin> Heck I see the "kits" alone are 1,100 - 1,200 bucks - WAY too rich for my blood!!!!! Probably a good racket if you could SELL a couple [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smile.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Tel

Re: Roll Former

Post by Tel »

Don't think so, that shot is from my el cheapo digital that is only pretty low res. Could fire up the Pentax & get some shots if there's enough interest. Just to put it in perspective - that's an 8" dia cannon wheel tyre being rolled.
Tel
Scott

Forget the rolls,Lets talk hemi's

Post by Scott »

Jacin,my big block wedge engine 66 pickup could use a pick me up.maybe just one of your 392 in the bed would work.seems like you have them growing out of trees where you live.Plus it looks like you could use the room.Just think about it,one less hemi to trip over.
Jacin

Re: Forget the rolls,Lets talk hemi's

Post by Jacin »

Hey Scott that BB Wedge ain't no sloutch!!! Not only that but you don't feel so bad if you scatter one of them [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smile.gif"%20alt="[/img] Not that scattering ANYTHING is good - but there are definitely different levels of BAD.
Let's see - a BB in a truck - must hook up about as well as my 392 Coupe ---- hey smokes fun too!!!!
There's a electrician here at work that tinkered with them 440's. He sure made them scoot! LOTS of power.
I do favor the Hemi's - mostly the Nostalgia thing - course the HP ain't bad. I remember when we were still in school. A buddy of mine had a 351 Maverick - I had a 327 Chevy in a Rambler (lotsa R's). Shortly after I got into 392's. I had my coupe going and casually raced it. My buddy could never quite keep up. He'd work - tweak - tune - Really thrashed and every week he'd get a wee bit faster. Every week he'd still loose. Finally all upset he just had to know what I was doing to keep ahead of him. I said I am finally learning how to spin the tires LESS. He was pissed. Mainly because I NEVER adjusted anything. Don't get me wrong - I got my clock cleaned too (just not by him)
In all honesty we never ran any too fast, but we sure had lots of fun anyways.
Scott

Jacin,Back to sheetmetal.

Post by Scott »

My friend, when I growing up had a factory aluminum fender,hood,deck lid,coronet.It had the stage three 426 max wedge.The car came without heater,and radio.I always like that version of the wedge.He blew that one up,and had Keith Black rebuild it.That had to be the fastest car I ever seen on the street.The thing was faster than my friends 454/427 62 chevy two.I will never forget riding with him when he got a ticket.It was for too much noise.He just opened his glove box,and threw it in with about 50 other tickets.That car was a 65 coronet,Everybody says those only came with the hemi,but unless somebody changed it I don't think so.I love those aluminum crossram intakes.Hey Jacin, Marty left out a category,rolling your own supercar.
Jacin

Re: Jacin,Back to sheetmetal.

Post by Jacin »

I have always lusted after a "factory lightweight" but alas they are WAY outta my reach:( [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/frown.gif"%20alt="[/img]
However I recently saw a fella make an aluminum bumper for a Muscle Car - It got me thinking - Sure would be nice to lighten up some parts on my Hemi Rambler. I lightened up the front - some but still that big fat hunk o iron pretty much voided my effort so far. I think I will add aluminum bumpers to my "to do list"
I just bought a Bench top Nibbler - I think it will have enough "oomph" to do offsets as well as just cutting. I tried to get my buddy to buy this benchtop nibbler (and take the pressure off me) but he wasn't moving any too fast so I gave in to my impulses and told 'em "I'll take it" - Done deal - I pick it up on Friday - I think I'm gonna need to do some shuffling to squeeze it in somewhere:(
Seems like theres ALWAYS room to squeeze in just ONE more machine. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smile.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Scott

Re: Jacin,Back to sheetmetal.

Post by Scott »

The closest I got to a hemi rambler was the time I got picked up hitch hiking by a rambler scrambler.Jacin remember those,390, 4 barrel,red, white,and blue.It looked just like this.(pic)This is my last car post in this forum,before somebody gets mad.I just couldn't resist.

http://www.geocities.com/xintew/scrambler.html
Steve_in_Mich

Bench top Nibbler

Post by Steve_in_Mich »

What brand is the nibbler? Maybe you could post a PIC when it arrives.
Just because you don’t believe it - doesn’t mean it’s not so.
sandman2234

Re: Bench top Nibbler

Post by sandman2234 »

I have a 6" nibbler out in the garage and have no clue what it does. It sits on it's own pedestal, with a foot activated lever to disengage (or is it engage) the clutch. They had it running at the shop I got it from, but needed the motor off it, so I got what was left. I assume it cuts little pieces of metal to make bigger holes? Any lessons on that thing?David from Jax
BP 2j vs, SB lathe, W& S #4 Turret lathe, Maho 600P