Need gasket removal hints

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Orrin

Need gasket removal hints

Post by Orrin »

My Quincy compressor blew a head gasket and I'm looking for hints on how to remove the old one from the aluminum head and valve plate without damaging the soft base metal.

It's probably not what it appears to be, but the gasket looks as if it's composed of some kind of fiber-reinforced graphite, being heavy on the graphite. It also looks as if there's a heavy dose of nickel-based anti-seize compound in there.

In the past I always used a putty knife to scrape off the old gasket; been doin' it for all my life and have always had great success. But.... this gasket seems to have become an integral part of the base metal, almost as if there has been some migration of atoms between the gasket and aluminum. I've never seen anything like it in all my life.

Does anybody have any ideas how I can remove the gasket without scratching the aluminum? I've toyed with setting up the head on the mill and taking off a thou, or two, with a fly cutter; but, if I goof... Fly cutting the valve plate is out of the question. I'd have to remove the reed valves and I don't want to get into that bag of worms.

TIA for your help.
So many projects, so little time.
Jacin

Re: Need gasket removal hints

Post by Jacin »

They make some nasty smelling gasket removers that might be the hot ticket. I use them for aluminum intake manifolds that I don't want to gouge up.
Try your local auto parts supply and see what they reccomend. I thinkI just bought the cheap stuff and it worked great.

As long as we're on teh subject I have also had good luck with Easy Off oven cleaner. I suspect you may have some corosion so don't be surprised if it doesn't come out perfect.

I have also become a big fan of the gasket adhesive (can't remember the name but it sprays out like a "red" translucent paint like coating - (permatex??) anyways it will not only help the seal but on those composition type gaskets it will allow easier disassembly. "Hi-Tack" I think is the stuff.
In a bind I have used this to "reuse" gaskets that should have gone into the hopper. Circumstances what can I say? I meant it to be temporary but it's been on one car for over 6 years now. Good Stuff Maynard!
FWIW
R_Johnson

Post by R_Johnson »

If you have a Johnson-Evinrude dealer close by, see if they have a can of gel-seal & gasket remover. This is intended for aluminum parts. This comes in a spray can, so protect your eye's. This stuff really works, and is fast.
Tom_Stamford_CT

Post by Tom_Stamford_CT »

I have batteled many air compressor gaskets. Sometime you would swear that the were iron! The only way I have had any luck in getting them off is to use razor blade. Dont try to take it off in one swipe. Sort of whittle it down till it get thin. Then use the gasket remover, soak it and let it sit for a while. Then use the razor to clean it off. That gasket remove is some kinda acid, it burns my skin.

I didnt know that Quincy started using aluminum in the pumps, I though that Speedair was the only one, times change....

Good Luck
Tom

PS I have one of those razor blade holders made by K-D tools its the flip out kind, mostly used for scraping stickers off windows. It works great and was around $5.00 at the auto parts store
ttyR2

Post by ttyR2 »

For cleaning up ferrous (steel/iron) gasket surfaces, not much can beat 3M Roloc disks. Put one in a high speed drill or die grinder and the job is done in no time. I haven't used 'em on aluminum though. The one's I use are pretty aggressive and would probably remove the base metal pretty quick.
Thanks,
ttyR2
Preston

Post by Preston »

[img]/ubb/images/graemlins/tongue.gif"%20alt="[/img]Three M and others make the roolock discs in fine grits for alumnum use.
mark_dingbaum

Post by mark_dingbaum »

Hi,

I replaced the gasket (and head) in my Quincy 5hp last spring and I used carb cleaner from Wal-Mart ($0.78/can).
Works great and is cheap enough. I think I did some careful scraping with a util-knife blade also.

I tried to torque the head using Quincy torque specs and couldn't get them all up to the number, seemed like
bolts were stretching or the threads were going to let loose, so I stopped about 5 ft-lbs short. No problems so far.

good luck,
mark
philinmt

Post by philinmt »

In our shop we have a oven, we just set the temp for 250 d f and let it cook for a hour or so and thay will scrap of real easy...Phil in mt