Help me Get a Bottle Jack Bled & Working

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Help me Get a Bottle Jack Bled & Working

Post by SteveHGraham » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:24 pm

I'm afraid I may be too stupid to operate a bottle jack.

I picked up a Harbor Freight 60603 hydraulic shop press. It looks good, except there is a place on the inside of the apron that rubs when I move it up and down. But the bottle jack is confusing. I've never had a problem with one before, so I never really learned anything about them. They usually work without my help.

The instructions say to remove the filler plug, loosed the valve screw, and pump the handle a few times. It says I should check the oil after doing that, in order to bleed the jack.

It does not say HOW to check the oil or how many turns the valve screw should require in order to be opened. I have tried it a few times, and although the ram seems to move a little, I don't see oil shooting out of the filler hole or whatever else it is I'm supposed to look for.

Finally, if it needs oil, what do I put in it? I have power steering fluid and ATF. I probably have some other things lying around the shop.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.

SteveHGraham

Re: Help me Get a Bottle Jack Bled & Working

Post by SteveHGraham » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:46 pm

I think I got it going. The oil is supposed to come up to the filler port after you pump the handle. The valve is just to let the jack go down. And I should get a jug of hydraulic oil at Home Depot in case my other jacks have problems in the future.

spro

Post by spro » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:00 pm

You bleed it while it's in down position or restrained to be down. At that point, it can be topped up, Not right to the fill hole but close. Don't fill when the ram is extended because it's a transfer from one section to the other and will blow out overfill when it comes down. Some tranny fluid is better than jack oil but hydraulic jack oil is available at many auto parts type places. I think jack oil is a little dumber, thicker and cheaper in small quantities.

SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:42 pm

The press has been a real adventure. Went to HF twice. The first time, they told me the truck came on Thursday with new presses, so I went on Friday, figuring it took time to open the boxes and so on. Then they told me the truck came on Wednesday, so I had to be there late Thursday afternoon. Today I went to a different HF, and they had the press.

Took it home and put it together, and the apron was welded wrong. It was too tight, so it pinched and scraped the uprights. Of course, you don't find that out until you put it together, which is 45 minutes to an hour for one person.

Took the press apart. Put the uprights and apron in my truck. Went back to HF. Waited for the manager for like three solar years. They said the best thing was for me to buy a second press, put a working press together, and return the rest as a defective press.

Manager goes in the back. Comes out ten long minutes later, and says, "Bring me the parts. To hell with it." We went back and got the parts from the only remaining 60603 in the store. Made the switch, and I got home at 9:30 p.m.

I am wondering what will happen next.

spro

Post by spro » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:46 pm

It already happened.

Torch

Post by Torch » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:29 pm

A tip for bleeding bottle jacks: with the ram pointing up, pump the jack as high as it will go. Then invert the jack so it is resting on the top of the ram, wait a minute, then open the valve to collapse the ram. Top off the fluid and repeat.

Pumping with the jack upright ensures the pump has a supply of fluid. Inverting the jack makes any air bubbles float up to the valve, so that they are expelled into the reservoir when the jack is collapsed.

spro

Post by spro » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:26 pm

That was the key part and why Steve saw the level going up. Thanks.

SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:17 pm

I finally got it put together. Now I have to get the AIR jack.

Some dude in a video put casters on his HF press. I am wondering if the base is sturdy enough for that, or if I need to back it up with something.

SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:18 pm

Who wants to bet me their week's pay nobody just put a used Dake on Craigslist for fifty bucks? That's how this usually works.

SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:23 pm

Here you go. Just found this, hidden in "Heavy Equipment."

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/hvo/4886230532.html

Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:38 pm

You should probably avoid playing golf when lightning is likely!

SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:11 pm

I don't know what's harder to comprehend. Why my numerous searches failed to turn this up until after I bought my press, or why the seller listed a 200-pound tool in "Heavy Equipment."