Peizo/push button ignition lighters

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Chris Hollands

Peizo/push button ignition lighters

Post by Chris Hollands »

I'm at the stage of installing an igniter setup for lighting the propane burner on the challenger and would like any advice on installing / positioning a push button lighter or are there better options .
The one issue I have is the depth of the firebox being close to 24" so even a long reach BBQ lighter wont reach the beginning of the burner where the gas will first come out so some sort of igniter is the only option that I can think of without reinventing the wheel .
NP317

Re: Peizo/push button ignition lighters

Post by NP317 »

My Mikado has a single pilot jet reachable from the cab firedoor. After lighting it off, I've never lost the fire again.
There are separate control valves for the pilot and the main burner.

And I can shut off the fire and keep the boiler hot with just the pilot, and the burner relights just by turning on the propane valve.
I will likely rebuild my Ten Wheeler burner to incorporate this feature too.
It works just dandy.

Perhaps you could light a pilot burner from under the firebox? Then you are in business.
RussN
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I have a piezo ignition on my propane system and it works just fine, but it took some experimentation to get it set correctly.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
gwerhart0800

Post by gwerhart0800 »

I use one on my Mich-Cal Shay (T-Boiler) because there is a flame spreader plate that blocks access to the burner. (Uses a turkey burner, the spreader forces the flame toward the walls of the firebox tube.) The igniter button is mounted to the floor in the cab and the piezo igniter sticks up through the damper plate at the bottom of the firebox. For the Shay, there is ample clearance for the bottom of the igniter to stick out. My only comment would be to make sure the wires are protected from heat if they end up running near the firebox. The photo shows the ignite wire "draped" over the edge of the burner assembly.
Attachments
IMG_6413.jpeg
IMG_6413.jpeg (105.15 KiB) Viewed 1159 times
George Erhart
Loveland, CO
https://lovelandcreatorspace.com
ChipsAhoy

Post by ChipsAhoy »

I would think a Pilot would be the way to go, but if you do use an igniter, I would think a sustained string of sparks would be better than a single spark. That way the ingnition source can be started prior to introducing fuel.
We used to have BBQ grill where you turn on the gas then began a rapid, sometimes frantic series of punching a button.... sometimes it lit right away.... sometimes it took awhile.... never lost any hair, but got a good scare a time or two. We now have a grill that used an AA battery to power a spark generator. I can hold down the button and it starts buzzing, then I turn on the gas..... no more suprises. And, I still have a full beard.
Scotty
NP317

Post by NP317 »