The Home Machinist!

A site dedicated to enthusiasts of all skill levels and disciplines of the metalworking hobby.
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: MicroKinetics
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:08 am 

Curious about any opinions and reviews of the M/K equipment. Have thought for several years I'd like to have a lathe and mill to do some small home sized jobs like after work. Quality stuff? Problems? Ease of use?? Loren.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:28 pm 

I have a system I inherited from work. It is one of their rack drive systems 3 axis driving a gantry mill (the mill is not Microkinetics). Hardware wise I have not had any problems at all with the Microkinetics components, the system is appox 10 years old. I only had their DOS based software and it was not the best in my opinion. I have not had any experience with the windows version. The big drawbacks to the dos version was file size limitation (about 45k, I run surfacing programs that are typically 4 to 20 meg in size) ,no cutter compensation ability and there is something in the arc logarithm that caused position errors. I talked to them about this and they said there wasn’t but I could prove it consistently on my machine. I have since switched to Flashcut CNC software and I love it. It handles everything I want it to and it is very easy to use and fully functioned. (No arc position errors with the same hardware) I bought the software and signal generator to run the Microkinetics hardware. Now keep in mind that the Flashcut software with the signal generator is much more expensive than the Microkinetics but in my opinion it is worth it

My $.02

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:00 pm 

I have one of their CNC Express Mill setups with MillMaster Pro for Windows software. I have found the company very good to work with. Each version of the software gets better and better and I am happy with it. Most of the parts I make are simple and I can write a G-code program faster than drawing it in CAD.

The only downside to the package is inherent in any Mill-Drill. You have to retram the head when moving the mill head up and down on the round post.

I've had no problems with several years of hobby useage.

George