McMaster-Carr vs Machine Shop Discount Supply

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

seal killer

McMaster-Carr vs Machine Shop Discount Supply

Post by seal killer »

All--

I am trying to get a handle on the price and quality differences between tooling from McMaster-Carr versus Machine Shop Discount Supply. I have bought several items from McMaster-Carr and maybe one or two from MSDS. But, I have not purchased nearly enough to form an opinion.

Today, I hit both their sites for comparison of a simple item: A single end, two flute, HSS end mill with a 0.5" diameter, 0.5" shank, 1.0" length of cut, and a 3.0" overall length.

On that one item, it looks like MSDS (part number 2000322) is far cheaper than McMaster-Carr (part number 2983A36). Do you prefer one vendor over the other? Is the quality between the two comparable? How about cost (despite what I wrote above)?

Is it even possible to say that one vendor is better for the home machinist than the other?

Thanks!

--Bill
You are what you write.
LivingLegend

Post by LivingLegend »

Seal Killer:

Shop around for the best prices.... McMaster-Carr is generally high. Remember, quality of the items ordered and prices will vary even among imports. End mills for example: There are the Chicom regular and "Quality" versions. Then you get into the "Made in USA" no names, followed by the "names".... Cleveland, GSC, etc.

I believe MSDS is one of the companies owned by MSC. J&L and ENCO also fall under the MSC umbrella, with ENCO's prices usually a little lower on the same, commonly stocked items. ENCO doesn't have near the items to choose from in their catalog as does MSC or J&L. MSDS has even less. Also, plus with ENCO, if you have the monthly code, ground UPS shipping is free on orders over $50.

One of the items I received in an order yesterday from ENCO was a Starrett adjustable parallel. The packing list indicated it was from MSDS stock.

EDITED......

LL
Do it right.... Or don't do it at all
I have no life. Therefore, I have a hobby
It's not that I'm apathetic, I just flat don't care
An Intellectual is nothing more than an Over-Educated IDIOT
Blogs: Where people with nothing to say..... Say it
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Depending on what you are looking for MSDS may have MORE than Enco. They don't sell machine tools, but they have a larger selection of abrasives and things like taps & dies.

Also, their catalog says that while they may only show part of some manufacturer's line, they can get the whole product line (e.g. Norton). Now that may not be an in-stock item, but they can get it.

I got a non-standard tap from them for around $30. At MSC it was almost double that. (It was 1-16 for a collet closer)

I have been pleased with the service I have had from MSDS (I have not ordered from MSC, so I can't compare).

Steve
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

I just bough one Item 6" 4 jaw chuck, MSDS was the only place that had the front screws mount. Price was good $85 but shipping the heawy hunk was $25. I could have found it cheaper but with rear mount screws, not good for a rotary table.

They answered my e-mail inquiry quickly, I would buy again.

In general is hard to make rules, even stock is random, you can find 2:1 ratios on one size and 1:2 ratio on a different size or alloy.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
Jose Rivera

Tooling

Post by Jose Rivera »

My two cents are that with cutting tools you may get what you pay for.

Taps, carbide and HS tools bits, drill bits are a turkey-shoot away from McMaster-Carr, mainly because cheaper means China or India made products.

At this point I am not sure if their quality has changed since even Tampax are made in China.

As for woodworking tools, Japanese beats the pants out of everyone just about, but not many can afford them.

http://www.japanwoodworker.com/page.asp?content_id=2896

This place is withing driving distance to me, but is like going to the chocolates store when you're in a diet.
Victor_R

Post by Victor_R »

Bill asked:
Is it even possible to say that one vendor is better for the home machinist than the other?
I say no because they both have their purpose. Here's my take on these companys. McMaster is very good for many things simply because of their tremendously large and varied inventory. If my local hardware store doesn't have it, I can almost always get it at McMaster. And virtually everything they list they have in stock ready to ship. Further, everything is good quality and either American made or from Europe. No Asian junk from them. However, everything is full retail.

There are certain categories if things that I don't get from McMaster because of their high price. Machine tool accessories, measuring tools and some cutting tools to name three. I find that the other suppliers like Enco etc. do better in price with these items. Probably because they specialize more in these areas. You just have to be aware that some of it is Chinese and carefully pick and choose your items.

Because McMaster has a warehouse right here in Jersey, I regularly get orders the next day. If I should need a single drill, tap or reamer I'll get it from McMaster because the speed is worth the extra couple of bucks. And that's often combined with some item I can't get from the others anyway. So both operations have their place.

Victor
"The machines are gaining ground upon us; day by day we are becoming more subservient to them" ~ Samuel Butler (1863)
ALCOSTEAM

Post by ALCOSTEAM »

I am with Victor. If I order from McMaster by 6pm one evening it will be on my doorstep the next.
One place you should not overlook is J&L. I had been buying aton of stuff from them until MSC finally took total control and shut off alot of the great deals. At least once a month they will have a 25% off sale of some sort and that usually makes them the cheapest on just about everything.
Otherwise I do alot of business with Enco and try and take advantage of their free shipping and 10% off deals.
I have also bought from Travers but you really have to watch their cheap line stuff as it is more in the Harbor Salvage quality.
I looked thru the MSDS website and I don't see anything really cheaper than Enco. The MSDS website is crappy and no pictures. I would really think MSC has nothing to do with the running of MSDS.

tim
WayneShaw

Post by WayneShaw »

I've never looked into MSDS (I always think material safety data sheet with those initials!), but will certainly do so. McM Carr is a great place, and so is MSC. If they don't have it, you probably don't need it. I'm in a "next day delivery" zone with MSC, so it's hard to beat that service.

With all that siad tho, when I'm shopping, I look for the best price. Enco runs some good sales on carbide end mills, and I grab a few when I can. I gauge carbide end mils by the 1/2" price, if it's under $18, I consider it a good deal. I do more lathe work than mill, so if it's a import tool, it usually does the job for me.

We're all fortunate to have the selection of these suppliers, each has it's own niche it seems.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

ALCOSTEAM wrote: The MSDS website is crappy and no pictures.
tim
I use them, but I think the web site sucks too. Get the hardcopy catalog.

I did a comparison of a bunch of items between Enco, MSC and MSDS and on those items, MSDS was better, but not on everything.

Steve
sch

Post by sch »

In general it is nearly impossible to get crap from
Mcmaster. They will be selling high to very high
quality goods. Some Chinese stuff can be found
but very little compared with Enco, J&L or MSDS.
They may not list the manufacturer but when you
get the item it wll be a quality brand name product
This is not always the case with the middle grade
suppliers who cater to the price sensitive.
Melin appears to be a made in US supplier judging
from their website, Meda is more difficult to parse
out, but the fact they have an '800pp catalog' suggests
they are a distributor rather than manufacturer.
Melin: www.endmill.com