norwegian/chopper coupling

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: Harold_V, WJH, cbrew

grandsire

norwegian/chopper coupling

Post by grandsire » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:47 pm

has anyone a drawing for this coupling as used on 2ft gauge railways.a friend is building a narrow gauge loco and would like to fit this coupling.
many thanks
Chris

Old Biker UK

Post by Old Biker UK » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:38 am

I have a drawing of the chopper couplings as fitted to the Lynton & Barnstaple locos. It (the drawing) looks like a p/copy of a p/copy (several generations !).
PM me an address & I will put a copy in the post.

Mark

grandsire

chopper coupling

Post by grandsire » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:31 pm

thank you for your reply,unfortunately my friend was looking for the type fitted to the Festiniog and the Welsh Highland that have a weight on an arm at the side to tighten them. Chris

Loco112

hook coupler

Post by Loco112 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:07 pm

Is the hook coupler you are looking for the same as those used on the Indian railways 2' gauge railways? I forget the true name of it, but I remember the name being unusual.
Narrow Gauge (Information) Exchange dot Org forum
My Projects:
Davenport 30 ton diesel (SV#101 / D&RGW#50)
C&S 1908 steel & 1905 wood: box, stock, flat, gon
D&RGW wooden freight cars, long & short cabeese
EBT 2-bay hoppers, Conoco #44 tank
DV (K&J) hopper
8"n3 - 3-footers, 8" scale, 24" gauge

Loco112

Indian Hook coupler notes

Post by Loco112 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:15 pm

from IRFCA website;

The Jones coupler (an adaptation of the Norwegian coupler) coupler is used on some MG and NG lines. Also known as the "chopper coupler", this uses a hook (the chopper) which fits into a yoke on the coupler of the next car. A bar behind the yoke controls the tension in the coupler. MG wagons and coaches have a the chopper at one end and the non-chopper coupler at the other end, hence a rake of MG wagons has to have them all oriented in the same way.

Jones couplers were developed in India and later spread to several east African and south-east Asian railways. Some NG lines still use a basic Norwegian (or 'chopper') coupling, which has a square or circular face with a slot coming down about half-way from the top.

The Darjeeling Himalayan Railway uses a rudder coupling system to deal with the severe curvature on some sections of its route. However, the Kishanganj branch of the DHR used chopper couplers, as can be seen on the DHR C class Pacific at Mumbai and the lone Garratt made for this line.

"grandsire" take a look att this link and tell me if this is the coupler you are looking for; http://www.narrowgaugetalk.com/anyone-i ... -t279.html
you have to join to see the photos, sorry, but that's where they are.
Narrow Gauge (Information) Exchange dot Org forum
My Projects:
Davenport 30 ton diesel (SV#101 / D&RGW#50)
C&S 1908 steel & 1905 wood: box, stock, flat, gon
D&RGW wooden freight cars, long & short cabeese
EBT 2-bay hoppers, Conoco #44 tank
DV (K&J) hopper
8"n3 - 3-footers, 8" scale, 24" gauge