Paul Raithmaier

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Steve Bratina

Paul Raithmaier

Post by Steve Bratina »

My wife and I were on vacation and as usual, hit the used bookstores.
I picked up a May/Jume 1978 Engineers & Engines magazine that had an article about Paul Raithmaier. I have seen pictures of his 4-8-4 before at the old Wabash club in Lafayette Indiana in the 50's. It was an interesting article and mentioned that he was going to build an amusment ride for childern when he moved back to Germany. He did so in 1963 and apparently did build a 3/4" high line for the kids to ride on. For this track, he built two 3/4" 4 -8-4's and a 3/4" electric 2-8-2 that he could use on short notice to give rides.
Does anyone have any more info about where his 18 locos he built went to or what ever happened to the track in Germany. The article said he was 84 at the time of the article so I don't immagine he lasted into the late 1980's.
Thanks,
Steve
Ray Cadd

Post by Ray Cadd »

I don't know if there's a connection here, but about 1973, I bought a well-used 3/4" scale C&NW Class D Atlantic from an elderly fellow ( "Mr. Hilliard", not sure of his first name) who lived in Newport Beach, Ca. The locomotive had been built in @ the 1950's, by a fellow named Karl Reithmeir, from somewhere in the Midwest. I want to say the Chicago area, but not sure. Maybe father/ son? According to the source, Reithmeir was a fairly prolific builder. Very interesting.
The fellow I bought it from, who I assume has long since passed, was a member of Riverside Live Steamers. The locomotive is now in the very capable hands of Mr. Jack Bodenmann.

Would be very interested to hear if anyone has further information on the builder(s).
Ray Cadd

Post by Ray Cadd »

PS., I should have mentioned, I'm not certain of the spelling of the last name "Reithmeir". It could be spelled "Raithmaier".
elm53

Post by elm53 »

Steve,
Not to long ago, one of the Reitmeyer clan was sold on ebay. I beleive it was a berk, a nice chunky machine with great lines.
And thanks again for your help with thi I-10 at Montreal.
Regards,
Larry
Rich

Post by Rich »

Steve:

I believe that Tom Zambreno, of the Illinois Live Steamers, has at least one of the locos. I don't know how often it gets exercised, though.

BR,
Rich in NJ
Steve Bratina

Paul Raithmaier

Post by Steve Bratina »

Hi Larry,
Its always enjoyable to be able to "work the tools" at a meet.
The 2-8-4 that you talk of is mentioned in this article. It said that he built his second Hudson in 1945 and patterned it off of the first one he made in 1927. This second Hudson, # 10, was later rebuilt as a 2-8-4 and sold to a member of the Lafayette club.
As for the Atlantic, it said his #8 engine was an Atlantic built between 1927 and 1930. It has 6" diameter drive wheels. The article states that it is on its third boiler and is still running (1978). His other Atlantic, # 13, was built during 1959/1960 and was built with slide valves.
In 1970/ 1971, he built another Atlantic, named "Hiawatha". He was 78 years old at the time and went on to build one more engine.
As a note of interest, the next issue of E&E had an article by the late Gary Kubicek on steam generation in small locomotives.
Goose

Post by Goose »

Hello from Germany,

at the moment, I cannot tell very much about him, but his 3.5" layout was the spot for the first meeting of the german livesteam club (DBC-D) after it was founded. And that happened in 1968.

You can see some photos of engines, he build (two different Niagara) under http://www.dampf-modell-bahn.de/dbild10.htm

and following the locomotive-roster (incomplete) of the DBC-D, both engines are still owned by a fellow named Reithmaier in Grosskarolinenfeld.
Also, another Niagara with constrction date 1968 is listed for a fellow in that area.

I asked the webmaster of the DBC-D, if he has more informations, and will post them when available.
Last edited by Goose on Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Bratina

Paul Raithmaier

Post by Steve Bratina »

Thank you very much for that info Goose. I will try to scan some of the pictures of the 11000 running in Lafayette in the late 50's.
Steve
Gerhard_Karl

Paul Reithmeier

Post by Gerhard_Karl »

Hello gents,

when Paul Reithmeier came back to Germany he brought with him two 4-8-4 steam locomotives and a partly built 2-6-2 Diesel loco. Here in Germany he built another Atlantic loco.

He died in January 1986, almost 93 years old.

One of the 4-8-4 locos was sold, the other 4-8-4 remained at his friend Karl Donauer, who built another 4-8-4. The Atlantic remained at the family, where Paul had his tracks in the last years. I dont know about the diesel loco.

Gerhard Karl
Secretary of Dampfbahnclub Deutschland

Dampf Modell Bahn
http://www.dampf-modell-bahn.de/
Baugröße 1 : 13 - Feldbahn auf 45 mm Spur
http://www.m1zu13.de/
Goose

Post by Goose »

Hello Gerhard,

thank you for the posting and the update. I didn't found the time to post since you sent me the informations.
gretelreithmaier

Re: Paul Raithmaier

Post by gretelreithmaier »

I am Paul Reithmaier's grandaughter. I have memories of walking the tracks around Paul and Frieda's yard in Oak Forest, Illinois that were there for his hand made train. Needless to say, my brother, my cousins, and I were in much trouble for that. I also have memories of riding in one of the "passenger" cars for his train. Karl Reithmaier was mentioned in one of the posts. He is my cousin, descended from Paul's son Lawrence. I am descended from Paul's son Albert. I am retiring next year and have hopes of finding out more about the trains Paul made. Hopefully, this is a first step in that direction.

Gretel Reithmaier Foushi
Steve Bratina

Re: Paul Raithmaier

Post by Steve Bratina »

Here are some pictures of Paul Raithmaier at the old Wabash Club in Lafayette Indiana. The track is long gone but the cement arch of the highline is appearantly still int the bushes there.
Attachments
PR 1.jpg
PR 2.jpg
PR 3.jpg
PR 4.jpg