3 in 1 Machine - How Do You Move This 507 lb Machine?

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

hollidayp1

3 in 1 Machine - How Do You Move This 507 lb Machine?

Post by hollidayp1 »

I have a Harbor Freight 3-in 1 Machine #44142 that weighs 507 lbs. I have been trying for several weeks to move this thing to a table but the weight of this thing defies all methods of lifting onto a table. the manual shows chains and putting onto a floor. But, of course, it would not be usable on the floor (unless you laid down on your belly to use the machine).
In any case, this machine is very heavy and I cannot put it on a table, even with a 1 ton shop crane. Has anyone out there moved a 507lb machine to a table & how did you do it?
Torch

Re: 3 in 1 Machine - How Do You Move This 507 lb Machine?

Post by Torch »

When I got my "benchtop" machine (over 800 lbs), I put it on snowmobile dollies to move it to the back of the garage. I ran 2 pieces of 3/4 rod through the lifting holes in the bed and ran slings from them to a set of chainfalls hung from a secure mount attached to the rafters. I lifted the machine straight up, and slid the table under it. I had already done a trial fit of the table, marked the exact locations for the legs and drilled the concrete floor for threaded inserts, so I wasn't working under a suspended load -- I slid the table in, lowered the machine and bolted everything into position.
P1010144-800.jpg
P1010145-800.jpg
I have also heard of people renting an engine hoist for the afternoon.
ken572

Post by ken572 »

Hello :!: hollidayp1 :D

Welcome to The Home Machinist! 8)

As you have found out, we have members
that really enjoy helping each other, and
sharing there skill’s and or knowledge,as
well as there project’s, idea’s, and more.

In order for this to happen smoothly there
are a few things that are NEEDED:

1)Correct brand names of what ever
you are asking about.

2)Correct Serial numbers, Model No,
Date, and or Country of manufacturer,
Size’s, Colors, Clear Picture’s of the item,
and or it’s data plates, and anything else
you can supply for the members to work
with.

3)Do you already have, or need
Operator and Parts, Manual’s :?:

4) Making sure that you put your
WORLDLY LOCATION in your
PROFILE so it show’s up to the left
of all of your POST’S under your name.
VERY HELPFUL, to member’s trying
to assist you.

5) It is always nice to THANK the members
that spend time HELPING YOU and when
your problem is solved, it’s nice to UPDATE
and share your FIX / REMEDY to help the
next member, to read and learn from.
NOTE: Pictures are alway’s VERY HELPFUL.

The HF44142 is the one I also have, and one of the
best sites I have found that is specific to the HF44142
with many step by step tutorials and many pictures to
help a person with, is:

http://bambam.gmu.edu/shop/index.html

This is of course in addition to our own forum which you
will find has an unbelievable wealth of knowledge in all
area’s for the home shop hobby machinist, and more.

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
OlderNewbie

Post by OlderNewbie »

Jeez. Didn't you see that handle on the side? Just lift it up and ... no? Ouch. That hernia gonna be a problem?

OK, what about with two people, one on each end, couldn't you...? Er, maybe not. Watch your toes!

Seriously, I've moved my machines around in the basement quite well using a Harbor Freight 1-ton engine hoist. The big-for-me lathe weighs 1,645 lbs according to SB, and it's not really a problem. As long as you have 18-24" vertical clearance over the table and room on the floor to move the engine hoist around it's pretty easy. You can rent them for a day, for not much. (I bought one because I had a number of things to move around, and even an engine to pull and reinstall late this year. And, it was on sale, cheap!) My basement is pretty cramped but I seem to be able to find creative routes that let me move things where I want them.

If you just don't have enough room for the engine hoist you can make a ramp, and get it up the ramp one way or another. Move alternate ends, use dollies and push, come-along, etc. Or, you can lift an end, block under it, lift the other, block under it, rinse and repeat until it's over the table and then lower it down. I've done that with floor jacks and even scissors jacks. The hoist is a lot faster and easier than either of the above, but there are lots of ways to skin the cat.

Whatever you do...don't get body parts under a machine tool while you move it. Do everything from above or from the side. If one falls, it's heavy! In case of a tie, you lose.

Good luck,

John
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

One small thing to remember -- those "1-ton" HF shop cranes (and I suspect all the others, too) are good for 1 ton only when the beam is pulled back as far as it goes. As you extend it, leverage takes over, and at full extension, the "1-ton" one is marked for 500 lbs. Of course, when the beam is retracted, you have less vertical travel... so you might end up lifting the thing in stages, like onto stacks of cinderblocks, until you reach the table height. And then there's the "de-rating for HF" business... some people feel you should trust their stuff for only half the claimed load.
Pete in NJ
hollidayp1

Post by hollidayp1 »

Torch wrote:When I got my "benchtop" machine (over 800 lbs), I put it on snowmobile dollies to move it to the back of the garage. I ran 2 pieces of 3/4 rod through the lifting holes in the bed and ran slings from them to a set of chainfalls hung from a secure mount attached to the rafters. I lifted the machine straight up, and slid the table under it. I had already done a trial fit of the table, marked the exact locations for the legs and drilled the concrete floor for threaded inserts, so I wasn't working under a suspended load -- I slid the table in, lowered the machine and bolted everything into position.
Thanks Torch. I have been trying things similar to your method but I was using chains. I ran into problems at the head end hole because the motor is back there and I can't get the chain between the motor and frame. I haven't tried using straps as your picture shows because I didn't think they would be strong enough. Also, I was worried about hanging a hoist from the ceiling. You mentioned "..a secure mount attached to the rafters" but didn't show a picture of this. How did you do this? Thanks for the info and it gives me a little more confidence that it is possible to move (Lift) this thing onto a table. PH 140626-1
hollidayp1

Post by hollidayp1 »

OlderNewbie wrote:Seriously, I've moved my machines around in the basement quite well using a Harbor Freight 1-ton engine hoist. The big-for-me lathe weighs 1,645 lbs according to SB, and it's not really a problem. As long as you have 18-24" vertical clearance over the table and room on the floor to move the engine hoist around it's pretty easy. You can rent them for a day, for not much. (I bought one because I had a number of things to move around, and even an engine to pull and reinstall late this year. And, it was on sale, cheap!) My basement is pretty cramped but I seem to be able to find creative routes that let me move things where I want them.
John
Thanks John (OlderNewbie) for your info. I have a 1-ton Shop Crane (not an engine hoist) but it doesn't work in this case because the legs of the crane do not allow you to get close enough to the center of gravity of the machine without the shop crane lifting off the ground. I will check out the "Engine Crane" to see if is more suitable to this problem than the "Shop Crane". Again, thanks for your input. PH 140626-2
hollidayp1

Post by hollidayp1 »

ken572 wrote:Hello :!: hollidayp1 :D
Welcome to The Home Machinist! 8)
3)Do you already have, or need
Operator and Parts, Manual’s :?:
5) It is always nice to THANK the members
that spend time HELPING YOU and when
your problem is solved, it’s nice to UPDATE
and share your FIX / REMEDY to help the
next member, to read and learn from.
NOTE: Pictures are alway’s VERY HELPFUL.

The HF44142 is the one I also have, and one of the
best sites I have found that is specific to the HF44142
with many step by step tutorials and many pictures to
help a person with, is:
http://bambam.gmu.edu/shop/index.html

Ken. :)
Thanks Ken. I will try to abide by the rules of this forum and am grateful to all persons who replied to my question. All replies contained good info and solutions. I do have the manual for the HF44142 on .pdf and would share it with anyone who needs it. I have not completely resolved the moving of this machine as yet and will post the results after trying out the many good suggestions that I have received on this forum. PH 140626-3
Torch

Post by Torch »

hollidayp1 wrote:Thanks Torch. I have been trying things similar to your method but I was using chains. I ran into problems at the head end hole because the motor is back there and I can't get the chain between the motor and frame. I haven't tried using straps as your picture shows because I didn't think they would be strong enough. Also, I was worried about hanging a hoist from the ceiling. You mentioned "..a secure mount attached to the rafters" but didn't show a picture of this. How did you do this? Thanks for the info and it gives me a little more confidence that it is possible to move (Lift) this thing onto a table. PH 140626-1
My machine has two horizontal holes at either end of the bed, specifically for hoisting by inserting a bar through each. IIRC, I used a tow strap for the heavier head end and a heavy duty ratchet strap at the tailstock end. The ratchet strap allowed me to adjust the length to keep things relatively level (I think the holes are placed for balance without the motor, etc. I needed the tail strap longer to shift the centre of balance and keep things level.)

I neglected to take a detail photo of the mount, but IIRC, I temporarily removed the insulation and vapour barrier (no sheathing on the garage ceiling yet) then placed a 4 or 6' long piece of 4x4 on top of the joists (to distribute the load across several) and wrapped a loop of chain over that. Then I hung the chainfalls from the chain.
toddalin

Post by toddalin »

I found a guy on one of the forums (Corvette Forum) who operates a forklift. He brought it out to the house and moved my ShopMaster (~1,300 lb) for $100 and I gave him an extra $20.

The internet forums are your friend.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Toddalin's is probably the best solution, all-around. Unless you figure to use a shop lift enough to justify keeping it around. They're not the most compact thing in the world, even "folded".

BTW, HorrorFright has those 1-ton lifts on sale right now for $137.41, with a coupon.

I've attached the copy of the coupon; I don't know what "non-transferrable" means in this case, unless I'm on some sort of "special" mailing list. Seems to me they should be happy enough to make the sale, no matter how. But I can't guarantee that they'll accept the copy.

OK, that didn't work. Apparently you can't embed an .mhtml file. Here, below, is the link to the webpage. You SHOULD be able to print the offer/coupon from it:

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-Ton-Capa ... 021_c2614b
Pete in NJ
hollidayp1

Post by hollidayp1 »

PeteH wrote:Toddalin's is probably the best solution, all-around. Unless you figure to use a shop lift enough to justify keeping it around. They're not the most compact thing in the world, even "folded".

BTW, HorrorFright has those 1-ton lifts on sale right now for $137.41, with a coupon.

I've attached the copy of the coupon; I don't know what "non-transferrable" means in this case, unless I'm on some sort of "special" mailing list. Seems to me they should be happy enough to make the sale, no matter how. But I can't guarantee that they'll accept the copy.

OK, that didn't work. Apparently you can't embed an .mhtml file. Here, below, is the link to the webpage. You SHOULD be able to print the offer/coupon from it:

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-Ton-Capa ... 021_c2614b
Thanks PeteH, I purchased the Harbor Freight 1-Ton Shop crane last week for $99.99 with a coupon I got in a mail flyer. However, it does not do the job because the bottom legs prevent you from getting close to the center-of-gravity of the machine: Therefore the back end of the crane lifts off the ground as you put the weight on it. I agree with Toddalin's and the other posts that recommend a fork lift and I am still investigating that. However, I would like to be able to have something to move the machine at a later date if needed. I like the idea of a chain hoist attached to the rafters but I am afraid that the weight would be excessive for the 2x6 rafters that I have in my garage. PH 140627-1