"Red Devil" 4-8-4 Current Disposition (Photos)

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

Millhouse
Conductor

"Red Devil" 4-8-4 Current Disposition (Photos)

Postby Millhouse » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:21 pm

Seen this locomotive pop up so many times anytime there's a discussion about David Wardale (and with good reason).

Always wondered what happened to it after Wardale left Africa, did they scrap it, did they convert it back to its previous class, etc. Information until recently has been hard to procure on it.

http://www.sa-transport.co.za/trains/sa ... 26/26.html

These pictures tell a little bit of a story on it. It looks like it's been under a full head of steam as recently as 2003, just going by the photos.

Millhouse
Conductor

Re: "Red Devil" 4-8-4 Current Disposition (Photos)

Postby Millhouse » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:17 am

To bump up this very old post from 8 years ago, and for those interested, the Red Devil was just restored to operation in Africa.

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:31 am

What is interesting is that I thought they were scrapping all steam.
Someone must have had a change of heart. Happy to know it's still around.
Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

Millhouse
Conductor

Postby Millhouse » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:12 pm

The Red Devil is considered an apex among all of David Wardale's achievements. It's always been treated a little more lovingly in preservation status than the other surviving SAR steam locomotives. (And kept indoors and under cover)

I can't remember if the Red Devil is one of his infamous condensing locos. They have a really unique 'muffled' bark to the exhaust. It might not be, though it has other advanced features. I know some of the condensing 4-8-4s on SAR had that huge long tender that was longer than the locomotive.

John Bohon
Conductor

Postby John Bohon » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:37 pm

From what I remember the Red Devil has had most of the advanced technology removed. It is now basically a standard 4-8-4 with special red paint. I do not think it was ever a condensing locomotive. Most, if not all, of the condensing locomotives were converted to standard locomotives by the time steam was retired. Their huge tenders looked odd with all the condensing apparatus removed. I have a friend who rode these locomotives in the days of regular service and apparently they were very good engines

I am impressed with the return to service taking only 4 months. I would love to know what work was done. I suspect there rules and not as restrictive as ours. The other possibility is the locomotive was in excellent condition. Either way I would like to know the details.

John Bohon

Millhouse
Conductor

Postby Millhouse » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:23 pm

On the very subject you just brought up, here's a video of different footage, from the same era, some non-condensing Class 25s and a condensing Class 25 with the giant tender.

The first condensing 4-8-4 doesn't appear until about 21 seconds in. That mutha of a tender is hard to miss! :P

Listen carefully to the exhaust on both, they're very different.

Return to “General Discussion”