Santa Fe 2926

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

Mark D
Conductor

Santa Fe 2926

Postby Mark D » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:06 pm

Milhouse gave me the idea. He mentioned the 2926 on the Big Boy thread, and I thought I'd start a new thread instead of hijacking the BB thread, where I didn't have anything more to add anyway.
So, can someone fill us in on how that's coming along? Anyone been there? Talked to anyone who's working on it?
It's been a while, but they seem to keep steadily plugging along with it.

From what I've heard, they have a place to run it, a regional railroad in the area. I doubt it'll ever get to see the high side of 50 mph again, but if it gets to run at all that'll be cool. The largest 4-8-4's ever built.
I have been aboard one, and crawled through it some too. Big machine! Markie likes big machines. Especially the ones that make a lot of noise and have a lot of power and many dangerous exposed moving parts. The more the better, and the bigger the better. Can't wait to see it up and running.

Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

alco636
Conductor

Re: Santa Fe 2926

Postby alco636 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:05 am

I believe they may be able to operate on tracks owned by NM. The former ATSF to Santa Fe? I may be wrong. Them are fast tracks with the commuter trains, and Amtrak on 'em. It'll see 50+ I bet. Gotta check it out next time I head out east.

Al Seever
Flagstaff, AZ
Last edited by alco636 on Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't know everyone, but everyone seems to know me...

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:34 am

Al, do you ever get in the area of where they are working on that engine? Ever thought about stopping in and getting a few photo's and seeing what's going on? If it isn't too far away, maybe you could volunteer your help?
Just some thoughts, based on what I'd do if I were living in AZ.
Mark D.

tom c
Conductor

Postby tom c » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:26 pm

That is the engine in Albuquerque NM. Only 322 mi, 4 hours 39 mins via I 40. A nice drive in good weather!

a link to their blog

http://www.nmslrhs.org/pages/status.php

Tom C.
tom_at_srclry_com
Lost somewhere in Michigan instead of Colorado!

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:16 pm

Very interesting reading.
It appears they have a pretty good roster of crew members.
I guess it'll run when it runs, but from what I have read, it'll be while yet. Year or two anyway.

The mention of the cab roof vent brought back a memory.
That 2900 series engine down in Shopton Iowa is the one I climbed around on back in 1998. I was with most of the rest of the 261 engine crew, as we had laid over for a day or so in Ft. Madison.
Anyway, the local caretakers of that engine asked us to take a look. We did.
The roof vent had been left open for who knows how long, maybe since it was parked there. It was letting all the rain, snow and dirt drop into the cab, so the seat boxes were rotted out and everything was a rusting mess.
The roof vent was jammed open, as it had been open that long, but we managed to work it loose and with some prodding got it to close. A bit too late, but at least it finally got closed. I still don't know why those guys didn't close it. It wasn't all that difficult.
Mark D.

Fitz
Conductor

Postby Fitz » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:17 pm

Mark, I know you are using a slow loading machine, but check out that link to their site. Over on Trainboard, one of the members always posts a link to the latest photos, and they have a ton of them. They are wisely documenting EVERYTHING they remove, and they are refurbishing every little piece of pipe, lubricators, Big stuff like rods and drive wheels, boiler, firebox, cab. They have rebuilt the Worthington Feedwater heater and the other appliances like air pumps. They cleaned and polished the rods, had Timken overhaul all the rod roller bearings, and have most of them re-installed. The cab woodwork is being completely re-done. They have a fairly decent machine shop on site and fabricate a lot of new parts there. They were victimized by thieves a few months ago looking for metal, but have seemingly recovered from that by making new parts. They are very serious about what they are doing and I have no doubt that they will succeed in running this engine. The tender, BTW, is all done, rebuilt.

Millhouse
Conductor

Postby Millhouse » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:05 pm

I've followed NMRHS's website from the beginning on and off for the last 12 years since before they pulled 2926 from her resting place in the park, and like the 3751 folks, they've stayed the course, true and slow. I do believe you'll find (and forgive me for not being able to cite my source) one or more of the folks involved with the 3751's restoration were directly consulted for the 2926.

She may have limited track to stomp on at first, but one can still envision a 2926/3751 doubleheader. Just cause it's fun to. :P My favorite feature aside from the massive tender are the side rod roller bearings, I have a thing about those. Just like the way they look, I think, though form doesn't always follow function with me.

Some other Santa Fe locomotive trivia...there was at one time, on the web, a project to restore the 2912 in Pueblo, CO.
http://www.steamlocomotive.com/northern ... wessel.jpg

SL dot com still lists it as 'restoration', but I haven't heard any news about it in 10 years, personally. Just a good reminder at how quickly and easily these sorts of things might not see light of day.

Other ATSF restoration rumors, the 5000 Madame Queen in Amarillo, TX (a website exists for this one, I brought it up in another thread...just looks like it's in the proposal stages for now).

Also ATSF 4-6-2 3415 has been recently restored. Not sure where they're running her.

Fitz
Conductor

Postby Fitz » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:53 pm

Believe it or not, I was once briefly associated with the Pueblo group. Visited there and talked to the main activists, Karl Rethswich and I can't remember the other gentleman's name. I have a feeling that these two either had health problems or something else took them away from the project, because it just lost momentum. I still have my Pueblo Locomotive and Rail Historical Society hat and pin, but the society has disappeared. Yeah, those 2900 tenders are something, with eight wheel trucks.

alco636
Conductor

Postby alco636 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:48 pm

At some point in 2013 I will visit Albuquerque, and the Santa Fe area. When I do, I'll probably stay overnight in ABQ just so I can go visit the group and the 2926. It's too far away for volunteering. About a 600 mile round trip. I do want to visit the Valles Caldera volcano west of Santa Fe. So I'm 100% sure I'll make it out there in 2013. The group seems open to visitors, and I plan on becoming a member. Here's their website: http://nmslrhs.org/

Al Seever
Flagstaff, AZ

Mark D wrote:Al, do you ever get in the area of where they are working on that engine? Ever thought about stopping in and getting a few photo's and seeing what's going on? If it isn't too far away, maybe you could volunteer your help?
Just some thoughts, based on what I'd do if I were living in AZ.
Mark D.
I don't know everyone, but everyone seems to know me...

Millhouse
Conductor

Postby Millhouse » Wed May 08, 2013 7:55 pm

http://www.nmslrhs.org/Photos/2013/05-04/index.html

Latest round of photos from the group, 5/4/13.

"Finishing up brake work on Tender, burner clean-up, more fab on steam exhaust."

Apparently they're moving the tender to an event called 'Train Day' at the Alvarado Transportation Center. Even that tender by itself is going to be a sight. Nothing short of a Pennsylvania long haul tender (all of those now extinct) compares with those monster 8 wheel trucks.

Kevans
Conductor
Interested in trains?: Yes

Postby Kevans » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:20 am

Hi all,
There is another part of the club site that is a lot of fun, the video section.

http://www.nmslrhs.org/Video/video.php

Amoung other things we have the only known clip of the 2926 running, 12 seconds, and a full presentation made for us last year.

http://www.nmslrhs.org/Video/video.php

have fun,
Kevin

ps Hi Fritz.

Fitz
Conductor

Postby Fitz » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:40 pm

Hey Kevin, good to see you here. Now we will get all the latest news from the 2926 rebuilding.

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:30 am

Welcom to Chaski, Kevans. I hope you can spread a little news now and then. Some of us, or maybe one of us, here can't really do video's. It can also be difficult to visit websites as some take just about forever to open on dial-up.
What's really interesting is stories of what goes on, limited to what can be released on the internet of course.

Mark D.

Kevans
Conductor
Interested in trains?: Yes

Postby Kevans » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:04 am

Here is the link to the photo pages.

http://www.nmslrhs.org/Photos/photos.php

Photos are from the first move out of the park.

As to the restoration, the idea is to do the very best job possible, some things we never want to do again. Grin. As with any big machine, you never know what you are going to find when you tear it down. In the tenders case, we found the brake shoe hangers badly worn, that added almost a year to restore the hangers.

The crew working are real good, progress is being made.

Regards,
Kevin

Mark D wrote:Welcom to Chaski, Kevans. I hope you can spread a little news now and then. Some of us, or maybe one of us, here can't really do video's. It can also be difficult to visit websites as some take just about forever to open on dial-up.
What's really interesting is stories of what goes on, limited to what can be released on the internet of course.

Mark D.

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:52 pm

Kevans, thanks for the link.
I've been interested in the restoration of 2926 since I first heard about it back in somewhere around 2000 - 2003. I'm not certain where it was, but I sort of think Duluth. If not that, Milwaukee. A guy climbed up in the cab of Milw. 261 one dark night while I was hostling. We talked steam engines, and he seemed pretty intent on this big 2900 series engine down in New Mexico.
At the time, I was interested enough to listen to what he had to say, but knowing what a huge task it would be to make a beast like that run again, and then finding somewhere to run it, I was only thinking something similar to 'yeah, in your dreams'.
But anyway, the guy was involved in the project at that time. I don't recall his name. Mybe he's still into it. I wouldn't know.
But it has become obvious that the people involved in this project are very serious and obviously have done their homework.
Now, these days, I'm excited about it. Waiting for for the largest 4-8-4 in the world to run once again is like waiting for Christmas. It's too far away, I'll never see it run. But I'll see pictures and I'll read about it and maybe I'll be able to buy a DVD of it running.
I think steam enthusiasts the world over are watching this project. Waiting.
Mark D.

Return to “General Discussion”