Santa Fe 2926

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

Millhouse
Conductor

Re: Santa Fe 2926

Postby Millhouse » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:17 pm

Thanks John and Fitz, found a simple answer on google.

http://www.atsfrr.com/Reviews/HO/Steam/3800/Drift.htm

Millhouse
Conductor

Postby Millhouse » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:33 pm

Check the photo section gang, lots of new pictures as of April 11th. Looks like the flues are all in! Even a short video of the valve gear being tested (possibly under an auxiliary steam or air source).

Fitz
Conductor

Postby Fitz » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:58 pm

Thanks, Kevin. If anyone can get this beauty steamed this year, you guys can. It has obviously been a labor of love, and you have completely overhauled the 2926. I certainly hope all goes well from now on.

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:09 pm

Ditto what Fitz says.

Kevans, thanks so much for providing the links and telling us about the engine. In about a year I will be in a position to finally take a road trip through the southwest and will most definitely make it a point to drop by your facility to see the beast first hand.
'till then, I can only rely on the internet for what little information I can glean. Ever since I learned about those 2900 series Santa Fe engines, I've been a huge admirer of them. For one of them to be able to come back to life is beyond incredible to me.

Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

Kevans
Conductor
Interested in trains?: Yes

Postby Kevans » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:49 am

There are six of the thirty 2900s left. The closest ones to Mark are the 2903 in Union IL, or the 2913 in Madison IA. The one in Madison is adjacent to the track that the Chief runs on, and the 2903 is in one of the steam barns at the Illinois Railroad Museum. Both seem to be in good states of preservation.

Mark that might be in range for a day trip. Grin>

Regards,
Kevin

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:53 pm

Kevans, I actually did see the 2013 back in 1998. We were on a layover for a few days with the Milw. 261 and were asked to go take a look at it by the caretakers.
When we first saw it, I was highly impressed by its size. Truly the largest 4-8-4's ever built!

For whatever reason, nobody had ever thought to close the hatch on the cab skylight. So for all these years, rain had been pouring into the cab. The seat boxes were completely ruined and rotted. The caretakers asked us to go through it and tell them how much money it would take to put it back in service.
So we opened up the smokebox door, we went into the fire box and looked underneath. Typical steam locmotive that's been sitting for decades except that the axels had been under water a few times from floods. The end result was basically that there was nothing wrong with it that about a million and a half in U.S. dollars at that time couldn't fix.

I have photo's somewhere, but don't know exactly where. Somewhere in the house would be my best guess.

261's whistle (the one we usually use) is from a now long since cut up 2900. Most beautiful whistle I've ever heard. The original whistle and air horn are also mounted on the engine and servicable.

Mark D.

Fitz
Conductor

Postby Fitz » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:12 pm

Since Kevin mentioned six survivors and gave the location of two, this is slightly off topic, but several years ago I went "in search of" the 2900s that were out here in the west. Found 2921 in Beardbrook Park, Modesto, CA. I believe it had been flooded up to the axles as well. Then joined the Pueblo, CO group restoring the 2912, and visited it, now defunct. I tried to find the 2925 at CSRM in Sacramento, but could not. I have not yet seen 2926 in person, but own a couple of flues in it and certainly hope to be able to get there when she steams up.
Attachments
2921drv.jpg
2921 looking sad, years ago
2921drv.jpg (56.16 KiB) Viewed 1299 times

Millhouse
Conductor

Postby Millhouse » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:03 pm

Again, largest 4-8-4 in the world once she's running. I'll be very excited to see that first boiler test when it happens!

Kevans
Conductor

Postby Kevans » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:53 pm

Here is the latest set of photos.

Even newer news the last superheater bundle is finished and racked in the storage container.

http://www.nmslrhs.org/Photos/2015/06-13/index.html

Regards,
Kevin

Kevans
Conductor

Postby Kevans » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:43 am

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:48 pm

Kevans
Retiring? Sort of the same thing going on here! As I type this, people are moving the machinery out of my small automatic machining business. I've sold the building and new owner takes posession Oct. 1. That leaves me roughly a month to get the place cleaned up, and then I'm outa' here!! YESSSS!

Now, why would that interest you in any way? Well, because that means mext spring I am planning to take a road trip that will take me through YOUR neck of the woods. I would like to be able to take a side trip off to see that fabulous Santa Fe locomotive you guys are so carefully and lovingly restoring to operation.

Look for a P.M. from me regarding this.

Mark D.

Charles T. McCullough
Conductor

Postby Charles T. McCullough » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:41 pm

I call it "Perpetual Coffee Break"... I wish I had retired 40 years ago.
Semper Vaporo,
Charles T. McCullough

Pkgs.

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:58 pm

Perpetual coffee break my azz. I'm going to be more busy now than when I had that machine shop. But now I'll be working with a steam locomotive considerably more than in the recent past, I'll be able to do things around the home front that I haven't had the time for, I'll be able to get my ancient Chris Craft boat back in the water, I'll be able to take a few road trips and maybe even a Amtrak vacation to somewhere, not sure where I'd want to go though.
I'll finally finish my home theater with the 100 inch (horizontal) screen and bad audio to go with it. I'll be able to keep the weeds out of my vegetable garden which I didn't even plant this year except for potatoes and beans, of which I can't find a trace for the 6 foot tall weeds everywhere.
I might even find the time to play with that CliShay 7 1/2 " steamer I wound up with. Or I might sell it.
I'll be able to help my son more on his projects. Maybe we can do Engine Masters Challenge again. That was pretty awesome!
Maybe I can get the TV antenna higher so my wife can get channels that fade out half the time as it is now. Thanks to the Feds and the switch to digital. And it used to work fine on analog signals. Go figure.

Mark D.

Fitz
Conductor

Postby Fitz » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:21 pm

You have got that right, Mark. I can't figure out how I ever had time to go to work. Hope you enjoy doing all those other things you have wanted to do.

Return to “General Discussion”