Santa Fe 2926

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

Kevans
Conductor
Interested in trains?: Yes

Re: Santa Fe 2926

Postby Kevans » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:23 pm

Fitz
Conductor

Postby Fitz » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:00 pm

Thanks, Kevin. Are the air tanks going to stay on or be removed again? Looks like you had quite a crowd for the open house. I hope they left a lot of donation $$$ in the kitty. Kitty probably a poor choice of words with your collection of kitties.

Kevans
Conductor

Postby Kevans » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:54 am

I don't know, the cats are the secret masters after all.
The donation totals haven't been released yet, but the open house usually does well for fundraising.

I think the air tanks are on to stay, it depends on lagging and boiler jacket installation.

Things are moving right along, the boiler testing is the next big thing, first a dry test with soapy water on suspect areas, then the all up hydro test. After that plugging the leaks, there are always leaks, grin.

Kevin

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:55 pm

I don't know how you guys put up with those cats. One (yes, only one) kitten that looked to be not over two weeks old, if that old, showed up at my doorstep back in early September. Since I live in the country and there are no nearby neighbors, I can only think that either someone driving down the road dumped it off or it wandered here from one of the not so near neighbors. Either way, it would have been a long jaunt for a baby kitten to make it to our door. But she did. It was cute as a baby kitten. Now it's probably a month and a half old. It has grown (from our feeding the daxx thing) into a full fledged cat. It's become nothing but a constant nuisance, following me wherever I go and getting into everything I'm trying to do. Drilling a hole? Her head gets right into my line of vision, for instance. This is constant. Worse, she has no clue what to do about miniature rats (mice) the one thing I thought could make enticing it to stay around for. All she wants to do is get in my way.
Worse, there is a orange Tom that is completely feral that also lives in the woods here. Once the little cat gets old enough, I suspect this woods will be crawling with kittens.
I'm hoping for a really hard winter...

Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

Millhouse
Conductor

Postby Millhouse » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:16 am

Just bumping this thread up so it doesn't get buried. Lots of photo updates since the last posting. :)

http://nmslrhs.org/Photos/photos.php

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:04 am

So, Millhouse, how would you like to have a really nice and friendly pet cat? :-)

Mark D.

Millhouse
Conductor

Postby Millhouse » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:33 am

Bumping this up to congratulate the 2926 folks for having their locomotive recognized by New Mexico today.

"ALL ABOARD! THE NEW MEXICO LEGISLATURE UNANIMOUSLY DECLARES STEAM LOCOMOTIVE SANTA FE 2926 AS NEW MEXICO’S STEAM LOCOMOTIVE"

Source link:

https://www.facebook.com/NMSX2926/posts ... 03804452:0

Millhouse
Conductor

Postby Millhouse » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:12 pm

Source:
New Mexico Steam Locomotive & Railroad Historical Society's official Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/NMSX2926/

"3/1/16 - Getting Up To Steam In 2016! ~ and Welcome New Members!
Wednesday morning began with the arrival of Welch's Boiler Services. A high capacity air compressor was rented and the boiler was pressurized to 60 PSI. Welch's crew began rerolling some of the tubes on the front flue sheet. 2926 workers began soap testing previously tested areas and those not tested during the previous sessions.
In other areas air brake component brackets were being fabricated and painted. The air brake crew is getting closer each week to permanently mounting the components and begin tubing them as required.
The cab crew working on the electronic requirements are making strides as to the final design of the MU equipment.
We heard back from the brake shoe provider and agreed the shoes were incorrectly fabricated for our diameter drivers. They have given the replacements top priority to replace them.
As with recent weeks the lubrication crew is continuously installing lube lines. Most of the work is in and around the compressors and governors.
The machine shop adjusted the coned metal gaskets associated with the steam dome and turret piping.
Several valves on the fireman's control quadrants received new packing and fresh packing nuts.
A fairly large number of new volunteers participated in the Safety Class Orientation on Saturday. A couple came as far away as from Odessa. Welcome to all those new members.
Weather is going to be beautiful most all week this week, so come on out and get dirty with us, and as always...
Keep on Steamin,
Rick Kirby
CMO, NMSL & RHS"

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:11 am

The Route 66 trip is on and I expect that I will be seeing this huge beast sometime around the second week in April. I will take pictures! They will appear here.

Mark D.

Millhouse
Conductor

Postby Millhouse » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:40 pm

I'll be looking forward to them, Mark.

Millhouse
Conductor

Postby Millhouse » Wed May 11, 2016 12:02 am

Question for Kevans if you're still around...

I"ve followed the 2926's work with great interest since she was pulled from the park. I realized a couple of things the other day looking at some of the current photos of the amazing work being done to her and was just curious --

1. Were her tires removed/turned/replaced? Or is she wearing the originals? And can old tires from a locomotive her age be used if they were serviced recently enough before retirement? (this might be a question for anyone)
2. Were her drivers ever dropped for servicing of the axle bearings, or was it also determined they didn't need it yet?

For all my keeping a regular eye on this restoration, I admittedly may have forgotten some work that was done, or missed an update along the way. If I did, I apologize in advance.

I saw they broke ground on her new storage building on Facebook, that's awesome!

Kevans
Conductor

Postby Kevans » Tue May 24, 2016 12:21 am

Sorry about the hiatus, work has been weird, and the retirement process has been time consuming. (still not retired, waiting on paper work from the DOD, gotta get all those years of service in one program...)

I will get the photos linked soon, but for now, answers to Millhouse. :)

Shortly before the locomotive was put in the park, it underwent a level five shopping, with every thing brought up to as new as possible. According to the record the locomotive has about 12,000 miles after that shopping. The story is that the 2926 was one of a number of "War reserve" locomotives dispersed in case we got nuked in the 50s.

Regardless of the reason, there is no visible wear on the tires, and the locomotive rolls silently, no vibration ore noise from the bearings. We have done an oil change on all the axels and the oil out looked new, still green in color, with no fragments or debris.

The new building is our engine house, it will give us inside storage for the locomotive, maybe even let us work dry when it rains.

More photos from the site soon,
Kevin

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Tue May 24, 2016 10:55 am

Too bad I missed you when I stopped in at the 2926 site in April. I spent a little over an hour there. You guys have a lot of nice equipment, machinery. The engine house had not yet been started, but I was told it was imminent.
Can't wait to see it out and running.
Doing nice work.
Mark D.

alco636
Conductor

Postby alco636 » Sun May 29, 2016 10:27 am

Thanks for the updates. It'll be awesome to see all that hard work rolling down a mainline.

Al Seever
Phoenix, AZ
I don't know everyone, but everyone seems to know me...

Millhouse
Conductor

Postby Millhouse » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:15 pm

alco636 wrote:Thanks for the updates. It'll be awesome to see all that hard work rolling down a mainline.

Al Seever
Phoenix, AZ

Fairly sure she'll be the heaviest operational non-articulated locomotive on the rails once moving again. :D

Return to “General Discussion”