DM&IR 227

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

Millhouse
Conductor

DM&IR 227

Postby Millhouse » Thu May 11, 2017 9:34 pm

Father-in-law and I are planning on going up to the museum for the first time in Duluth in the summer if all pans out.

I have kind of a dumb thought on this Yellowstone... if they are running it on rollers every day the museum is open, isn't that (albeit VERY slowly) putting miles on the running gear? Or do they not 'run' it every day? Always been curious how much wear is realistically put on an engine on display in this manner, though there certainly are NOT many examples out there to compare it to.

I read the museum of the american railroad has eventual plans like this for their Big Boy (on the MOTAR's website), but ... definitely don't know of any current engines the size of 227 that run on display rollers.

Mark D
Conductor

Re: DM&IR 227

Postby Mark D » Fri May 12, 2017 8:53 am

I can't tell you how much they roll the drivers but when I've been there the drivers weren't going around and around. To me it seems a bit stupid, but at the same time it also shows those who've never been exposed to the running gear of a steam engine how it goes 'round and 'round.

Since there's no real weight on the drivers and they are moving very slowly and undoubtedly are lubricated I doubt it puts much wear on any part of the running gear. But since that engine isn't going anywhere anyway they might as well spin the wheels if it attracts customers.

Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

tom c
Conductor

Re: DM&IR 227

Postby tom c » Fri May 12, 2017 10:24 am

When u get to the museum, look up Tim and ask him.

Tom C.
tom_at_srclry_com
Lost somewhere in Michigan instead of Colorado!

Return to “General Discussion”