Choo Choo time next week

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

Mark D
Conductor

Re: Choo Choo time next week

Postby Mark D » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:29 pm

Here is at least one more, maybe more. Don't know until I'm done.

And by the way, that smoke - some of the worst coal I've ever had the displeasure of having to toss into the hungry mouth of a steam engine. I've seen worse, but this isn't much better.
Mark D.
Attachments
261 EXCURSIONS N D  JUNE 1 TO 5 2017 069 (resized).jpg
Here's a photo of the fireman's side share of the steam that was blowing out. Yes, I know that's not steam. Steam is invisible. That is water vapor. However, everyone likes to call it steam so I did it too.
261 EXCURSIONS N D  JUNE 1 TO 5 2017 023 (resized).jpg
There's the choo choo ahead pulling the train. It has no clue that soon it'll be leaking its life blood out all over the place.
261 EXCURSIONS N D  JUNE 1 TO 5 2017 019 (resized).png
Here is some ancient old locomotive chugging past our tool car. Looks to me like it just went off to pick up a load of coal and then will back up onto our train when it's ready to. Might have picked up a few buckets of water too.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

John Bohon
Conductor

Postby John Bohon » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:42 pm

Thanks for the description of the incident with 261. Believe it or not I was once a part of a very similar repair although under different circumstance. Around 1990 TVRM was preparing Sothern 4501 for its first post Southern Steam Program operation at the museum. With tube time remaining on the boiler we needed to get a good FRA hydro which involved among many other things a flexable staybolt inspection. While all of the bolts were good we had a few sleeves leaking. All but one were repaired with some welding. The last sleeve was bad enough every time we welded one place it would start leaking in another. Finally it became clear a more extensive repair was required and we did not have time to replace the bolt and sleeve and get the engine out for its scheduled run. We fabricated a big sleeve just as you describe with a big piece of pipe and a cap welded to one end of the pipe. Since the staybolt in question was on the radius of the firebox the other end of the pipe was ground to a contour that matched the firebox location. A little weld prep on both surfaces and the pipe was welded in place. The repair worked like a champ and the FRA man was happy. The bolt and sleeve were replaced when there was more time and everyone went home happy.

As for the flange bearing diamonds like the one your problem developed from I have always felt they were anything but safe for the track that had to bump across the bearing surface. Anything that lifts the flange above the head of the rail is asking for a possible derailment. I once worked for a railroad with a double diamond crossing of the CSX mainline. CSX once thought about installing 2 of these diamonds which would have forced us to cross at 10 mph. The diamonds were at the bottom of a steep grade that was steepest at the bottom and we needed to take as much run at the hill as possible when we got a signal to cross their mainline. Had this style diamonds been installed it would have reduced our tonnage ratings on the locomotives when handling long trains. Of course CSX could care less about our needs to get trains up the hill. As far as I know and for whatever reasons the diamonds have never been installed but I have not been back in the area for several years.

John Bohon

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:16 pm

I didn't want to reply because I tend to 'talk' too much. Would prefer someone else end a topic, but would also like to keep things moving on the forum. But oh well, here goes.
Thanks for the comment John. We could use someone like you on our crew. Yes, we do have some well informed people, but it never hurts to have more input.
Too bad you live so far from here. I think you'd like the way Steve operates the 261 outfit.

I do have to say that this is the first time in the 20 years I've been with the 261 where we have had an issue that required letting the fire die and cool the boiler enough to not make steam in order to make a repair. We've had the various cracked stay bolt here or there, leaky valves etc. but never something to need to repair it on the spot.

Mark D.

John Bohon
Conductor

Postby John Bohon » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:45 pm

I wish I were closer too. The 261 and crew seem to be a fine operation. Someday I will get to the area for a look or two. I may have to hitch a ride with Robert one day when he is headed your way. We live fairly close together. From what I can tell your train is very well crewed.

It is odd you mention bad coal. TVRM is struggling with poor coal as well. Theirs creates a lot of ash and not so much heat. Perhaps it is coming from the same mine.

John Bohon

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:40 am

Well, John, here's your chance.
He will be coming here for a work week special on either July 20-26 or August 2-6. Might want to get in touch with him. I plan to be there some of the days, but not the whole week.
Mark D.

John Bohon
Conductor

Postby John Bohon » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:58 am

I wish I could but between work, a family illness, and a recent death in the family it will not be possible for me to make those dates. What kind of work are you planning for those dates?

John Bohon

Return to “General Discussion”