Union Pacific Official Site Update

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

Millhouse
Conductor

Union Pacific Official Site Update

Postby Millhouse » Wed May 31, 2017 11:15 pm

New crosshead guides for the 4014. Mark are these commonly made?

http://www.up.com/aboutup/community/inside_track/steam-update-5-31-2017.htm

Mark D
Conductor

Re: Union Pacific Official Site Update

Postby Mark D » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:14 am

It is common to have to replace a crosshead guide, but they are not typically manufactured and stored on a shelf for steam engine mechanics who happen to need a new set to replace worn out guides. Like most steam engine parts these days, if you want it you need to make it or have it made.
Sort of like during the 261 rebuild a few years ago when we had to have new piston rings made. We had to take all sorts of measurements before determining the I.D. and O.D. or the segmented rings when installed.

I'm sort of guessing that Ed Dickens bought plates of soft metal and will need to fit them to the engine. Not a huge deal, but time consuming I'm sure.

By the way, contrary to what you might read over on Train Odors, Ed Dickens is a first class machinist, knows steam well and does know what he's doing. The old crew knocks him because he is a perfectionist.

Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

Return to “General Discussion”