New steam in Minnesota

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

tom c
Conductor

New steam in Minnesota

Postby tom c » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:00 pm

The Lake Superior RR Museum rolled out DNE 28 for her official debut this last weekend. I came up to watch and caught a test trip with the FRA man onboard. Here she is backing out of the depot to head north on the North Shore Scenic RR.

Tom C.
Attachments
P6091959.jpg
P6091958.jpg
tom_at_srclry_com
Lost somewhere in Michigan instead of Colorado!

tom c
Conductor

Re: New steam in Minnesota

Postby tom c » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:04 pm

and a shot at Lakeside where she ran around the train to take it back.

Tom C.
Attachments
P6091964.jpg
tom_at_srclry_com

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:27 pm

I've been waiting for the day they would get that thing back under steam. I knew they were working on it and almost ready to run it, but lost track. Good for you to get up there and see it go. Better would be to go back when it's running a public trip and get a ride.
Actually, that is how I got my very first ride on a train behind a steam engine. That very same museum had just gotten that 1003 up there and were running excursions. I knew there was a steam engine in the Twin Cities, but had yet to find out where it was hidden. This was in the summer of 1997.
I got a ride - sparsely attended unfortunately - and during a stop was allowed up in the cab. My very first time for both a ride and a cab visit.
Well, time marched on. I found the 261 and became addicted and the museum lost that 1003. They had something else running but I forget which engine it was. Might have been their 18. Then they got something else when that ran out of time and used it until it ran out of time. After that it was all diesel trips unless the 261 went up there to visit.
Happy to see they finally got some steam going again. It is very necessary to draw the public.

Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

tom c
Conductor

Postby tom c » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:18 am

Saturday was a beautiful day to chase 28 so a few pics and I got a couple of good vids on Flickr I will post a link to.

Tom C.
P6101966.jpg
charging thru Lakeside

P6101967.jpg
leaving Lakeside
tom_at_srclry_com

tom c
Conductor

Postby tom c » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:24 am

here is a link to my Flickr account where i have the videos.

This is leaving the depot on the North Shore Scenic track.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/20786265@ ... en-public/

crossing Lester Creek:

Tom C.
tom_at_srclry_com

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:25 am

Looks good out there! Wish I was there.
I noticed they need to do a bit of timing on it. three cycles working, one just fluffing a little. I'm sure they'll get that taken care of shortly.
I could not view your entire video because it would keep starting over after about three seconds. After the third or fourth restart it would just close out. Not sure what's up with that, but my first time using Flickr.

Mark D.

John Bohon
Conductor

Postby John Bohon » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:26 pm

What I hear is a lot of rod noise for an engine just out of overhaul. Perhaps this is one of those rebuild the boiler and fix the running gear after we get it running jobs. If so the engine should get a little better each winter. Like the old saying goes, "It is better to hear them than to smell them."

John Bohon

SOO2719
Conductor
Interested in trains?: Yes

Postby SOO2719 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:12 am

Great pics and video, Tom. I can't wait to get to the LSRM this year and see the 28 in action, maybe even take a ride on one of its runs too.
Last edited by SOO2719 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard "Tony" Held

"Trackside with Tony"
http://www.tonyheld.hoboandbowser.net/category/trackside/

Fitz
Conductor

Postby Fitz » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:06 pm

Tony, the video and pics were posted by Tom C, not me. Let's give Tom the credit.

tom c
Conductor

Postby tom c » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:17 pm

On Sunday, 28 lost its wedge on the rt side somewhere near Palmers. It tried to limp back but was eventually towed back by a diesel.
You may of heard her starting to get loose.

Her she is starting her return over the Little Sucker River Bridge.

Tom C.
tom_at_srclry_com

SOO2719
Conductor
Interested in trains?: Yes

Postby SOO2719 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:50 pm

Fitz wrote:Tony, the video and pics were posted by Tom C, not me. Let's give Tom the credit.

Fixed. :D
Richard "Tony" Held

"Trackside with Tony"
http://www.tonyheld.hoboandbowser.net/category/trackside/

John Bohon
Conductor

Postby John Bohon » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:15 pm

The lost wedge getting loose could explain the noise. The pictures show the mainrod has strap ends on the big end so the small end is probably a split brass too. They can knock pretty badly when loose. Still I seem to hear a lot of general rod slap but that could be from getting to be a long time between lube jobs. It is a fine locomotive and I would like to see it someday.

John Bohon

tom c
Conductor

Postby tom c » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:29 pm

What is interesting on this engine is the left rod is different than the Rt. The left has no wedge showing.

Tom C.
Attachments
P6111980.jpg
Rt rod DNE #28
P6111981.jpg
Lt rod DNE #28
tom_at_srclry_com

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:41 pm

Too bad about having to tow it home. Oh well, they'll get it right.
With the sound I hear is a distinct three exhaust pulses and then a rather faint chuff, then three pulses and a faint chuff. 261 did that for a while until we got around to setting the proper timing on the valves. Now it sounds better. Four individual exhaust pulses. They will eventually get it right, I'm sure. It was out for its first time after being scattered all over their shop and probably parts outside too. They got 'er going and the test run was generally successful so what more can we ask?
I'm not being critical, and maybe what I think is a soft exhaust pulse is something else, but then were is the fourth exhaust pulse?

Mark D.

John Bohon
Conductor

Postby John Bohon » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:26 pm

The brass on the left side mainrod appears to be an updated version using a solid brass. In some ways it almost looks like a floating bushing but the way it is held in the rod I doubt that is possible. The right side is an old style split brass with the brass in 2 half sections. The wedge holds the brass in place and also provides adjustment if I am seeing the photo correctly. The wedge falling out is one common problem with this style of bearing. There were others including maintaining adjustment which probably lead to the update on the other side. I like the attempted repair to try getting the engine home. I probably would have been temped to try finding some sort of wooden wedge like a chunk of old crosstie and driving the wedge in with a hammer to help hold the wrench handle in the hole. With a temporary repair like this one you may have to stop every couple of miles to keep things tight but at least you keep moving toward the destination terminal. This is exactly the type of thing engine crews were expected to do back in the bad old days. Good try to the crew.

John Bohon

Return to “General Discussion”