Big Steam Being Restored List 2017

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

Millhouse
Conductor

Big Steam Being Restored List 2017

Postby Millhouse » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:04 pm

Current Class 1 locomotive operational restorations going on (and in various stages):

Reading 2100
C&O 2716
NC&Stl 576
C&O 1309
ATSF 2926
UP 4014
Reading 2102 (added in from discussion below)
NKP 624

Did I miss any? Haven't been keeping up with SP&S 700.
Last edited by Millhouse on Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fitz
Conductor

Re: Big Steam Being Restored List 2017

Postby Fitz » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:35 pm

SP&S 700 is not being restored, but is going through it's 15 year inspection, form 4 stuff. I would word this "temporarily out of operation" as she is operational.

John Bohon
Conductor

Postby John Bohon » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:20 pm

There is a B&M pacific being restored at Steamtown. In Maine a Maine Central pacific is also being restored. Unfortunately I do not remember the number of either.

Reading 2102 is being restored by the Reading and Northern railroad in PA. Hopefully it will be finished next year sometime.

In Ohio ex GTW 2-8-2 4070 is under repair and has been for a long time. I am not sure how much has been done but they seem to be slowly working on it.

John Bohon

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:43 am

Would really like to see that 2100 operate, but the group doing it is having serious financial issues. They get a little bit here and a little there, but it's hand to mouth at that operation. I wish them the best of luck. I'd like to donate, but I'm not in that league.

Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

John Bohon
Conductor

Postby John Bohon » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:33 pm

Poor old 2100. In the early sixties 2100 was arguably the biggest star of the Reading Rambles. When Ross Rowland chose 2101 for use on the Freedom Train 2100 became the parts engine. In the late seventies it showed up in Hagerstown, MD and was honestly the worst looking big engine I have seen to date. Still when you looked around the engine it had a lot of life left in it. Knowing it was reputed to have the best boiler of the surviving T 1s helped with that perception. To date it has been restored to service at least twice while running little. The first restoration in Hagerstown was very through and returned 2100 to the status of a good mainline ready locomotive ultimately with nowhere to go. Then came a set of flues and tubes when the engine came back to the US from Canada. After a short stint operating in the far west, and a poor conversion to oil came more time sitting in the middle of nowhere. Now this group is working on a shoestring with the outcome questionable. 2100 deserves to run again and as for the rumor of the best boiler of the surviving T 1s all of this has taken place with, at least to my knowledge, no replacement of any firebox sheets. I missed seeing 2100 take its first steps out of the Hagerstown roundhouse by a few hours due to a sick family member. You can only guess how much I want to see 2100 run.

Mark, if you really want to see a T 1 run 2102 is undergoing a heavy overhaul in the Reading and Northern shop in PA. It should be out next year if things keep going well. R&N runs on the old Reading and has some pretty fast running on some of their track. They will have the engine and a place to run it. Perhaps you should start planning a road trip to PA when the 2102 is finished. I know I have been thinking about a trip of my own. I am ready for another dose of T 1 in my life.

John Bohon

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:03 pm

Interesting on the 2102 restoration. Hadn't heard or read about that, or maybe I saw it on some other forum but didn't bother to read any posts figuring that it was just more rumor.
I think I know who'll be really happy to see 2102 would be Brian Wowak. He also lives close enough to there that a trip to see it go wouldn't break the bank.
And I assume the 2102 will still be burning coal!!

That story of the 2100 is a sad one indeed. Short summary, John, but correct. I recall all of the nasty things that happened to it, mostly because of ignorance and ego combined.
IIRC, there was some issue with the FRA on the supposed flue replacements, or lack thereof. I don't recall the whole story and it's long buried in the discussions on a forum that requires paid subscription. I know someone who can fill me in on the details if I remember to ask. In any case, that ill advised switch to oil burning did far more harm, in my view, than the flue issue. Flue's can be replaced again and done properly. The setup of the burner, again in my view, did harm to the entire firebox with the poor heating and uneven distribution of the head. I wonder how much stress that put on the firebox sheets. But then, there wasn't really very much head anyway so maybe little to no harm at all.
I would really like to see someone put this engine right and make it go the way it was meant to go.

Mark D.

John Bohon
Conductor

Postby John Bohon » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:08 pm

I know some of the people who have been in the firebox of 2100. In spite of all the hubbub the oil conversion did no damage to the firebox. It is being restored to operation still using the old Reading installed firebox. All the speculation of the experts was mostly a waste of good air. The quality of the conversion was not good quality or particularly safe but it did pass FRA muster. To be sure it was not conventional.

John Bohon

bobnsteam
Conductor
Interested in trains?: Yes

Postby bobnsteam » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:56 pm

Guys,
Trains magazine Extra 2017: "Big Steam is Back".
Latest on steam across the country. For you pro's maybe old news, but for me very informative.
3985 on hold. 4014 all apart. Re-assembled for 2019?
Bob

Wowak
Conductor

Postby Wowak » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:28 pm

Oh trust me I'm very excited about 2102. Andy keeps waffling about accepting volunteer help, but if they do, I'm on the list.
-Former Moderator

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:13 am

Why would anyone with a steam locomotive NOT want volunteer help? I know the drawbacks of volunteers, but one can be choosy, or at the least give volunteers a chance to prove themselves.
261 gets along ok and operates almost entirely on volunteer help. If the volunteers are dedicated and have some basic mechanical skills and is honest, that's all that is needed.

Mark D.

John Bohon
Conductor

Postby John Bohon » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:09 pm

Reading and Northern is a for profit regional railroad that is owned by one man. Starting as a small shortline mostly running excursions it has grown to a strong operation that treats the employees well. Lots of freight business pays the bills on several hundred miles of track. Steam runs only because the owner wants it to. He was wealthy before he got into the railroad business and in his advancing age wanted to see 2102 run again. Like the saying goes, volunteers are free to work when and if they please but employees have to do what they are told. The man wants total control over his operation and given his success I have no problem with that at all. Also given his potential liability as a sole owner and the financial condition of the railroad I have to agree with his decision. In reality the steam program on the R&N is not much different than the one run by UP.

I hope that explains the lack of volunteers on the R&N. Of course all volunteer operations can run very well too. I think the situation of every operation dictates how it is run.

John Bohon

Wowak
Conductor

Postby Wowak » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:50 am

All of that is true, but on the flip-side Andy is receptive enough to let our entirely volunteer-maintained CNJ 113 run on his rails, with his coaches, his train crews, and his insurance, so I can't really complain about anything he wants to do. The 2102 holds a special place in my heart, so I of course would love to be able to say I played any small part in returning her to steam, but I'm in no position to be pushy.

The other aspect that I understand is that this area is heavy with the kind of railfans that give railfans a bad name. Opening up an operation to volunteers while keeping the known problems away from your operation is a headache that I'm sure Andy doesn't want to deal with.
-Former Moderator

Millhouse
Conductor

Postby Millhouse » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:25 am

I forgot NKP 624 2-8-2, recently acquired by the FWHS. Wouldn't consider that engine small. Kind of neat that 765 will have a running cousin.

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:08 am

Yeah, if you have one steam locomotive you have a lot of expense and trouble. So, why not just double the pleasure with two of them? That's like having two women...
Mark D.

tom c
Conductor

Postby tom c » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:22 pm

what about Jerry Jacobs with his collection.

Tom C.
tom_at_srclry_com
Lost somewhere in Michigan instead of Colorado!

Return to “General Discussion”