Milwaukee 261 on the Red River Valley & Western

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

Kevin Gilliam
Conductor

Milwaukee 261 on the Red River Valley & Western

Postby Kevin Gilliam » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:19 pm

Haven't posted anything here for a while, so figured I might as well start with something near and dear to some people...

In early June, Milwaukee 261 journeyed to North Dakota for a series of employee and public trips on the Red River Valley & Western shortline out of Breckenridge, MN and Davenport, ND. There was a bit of a heat wave with temperatures in the upper 90s for most of the visit, but it seems as if everyone had a good time and all the public runs sold out.

first, we see 261 ferrying between Breckenridge and Davenport in preparation for the first public runs...

The Bridge to North Dakota.jpg
The Bridge to North Dakota.jpg (216.15 KiB) Viewed 406 times
Late Evening Ferry Move.jpg
Late Evening Ferry Move.jpg (190.01 KiB) Viewed 406 times
Into the Evening Sun.jpg
Into the Evening Sun.jpg (162.4 KiB) Viewed 406 times
Last edited by Kevin Gilliam on Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kevin Gilliam
Conductor

Re: Milwaukee 261 on the Red River Valley & Western

Postby Kevin Gilliam » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:24 pm

The first public trips were sunset excursions running about 45 miles between Davenport and Lisbon, ND. There was also an employee trip that operated a mid-day run. We rode the first public trip, and chased the other two. There is more scenery than one might expect, especially once you get close to Lisbon. There is also a nice little hill near Leonard, which gave the 261 the chance to work a bit. With a relatively short train and a flat railroad, the engine wasn't making much noise most of the time!

2 shots on the hill...
Leonard Hill.jpg
Leonard Hill.jpg (237.26 KiB) Viewed 405 times
The Hill.jpg
The Hill.jpg (211.8 KiB) Viewed 405 times

Kevin Gilliam
Conductor

Postby Kevin Gilliam » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:25 pm

...and some scenery closer to Lisbon.

Sheldon Silo.jpg
Sheldon Silo.jpg (197.49 KiB) Viewed 405 times
Making Something Out of Nothing.jpg
Making Something Out of Nothing.jpg (221.92 KiB) Viewed 405 times
North Dakota Scenery.jpg
North Dakota Scenery.jpg (180.71 KiB) Viewed 405 times

Kevin Gilliam
Conductor

Postby Kevin Gilliam » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:36 pm

after a few days in Davenport, the 261 ferried back to Breckenridge, and was carded for an employee trip and public sunset run to Kindred, ND (about halfway to Davenport). Diesels subbed on the employee run as the 261 crew repaired the engine after it was damaged running across a diamond over CP on one of the Lisbon trips, and the engine was back ready for the public run.

Kindred.jpg
Kindred.jpg (176.09 KiB) Viewed 405 times
Sweet Light at Kindred.jpg
Sweet Light at Kindred.jpg (183.17 KiB) Viewed 405 times
High Stepping Northern.jpg
High Stepping Northern.jpg (163.48 KiB) Viewed 405 times

Fun set of trips, and many thanks to the 261 crew for getting the engine repaired in short order.
Kevin

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:40 am

Super great photo's, Kevin! I was there the whole time and on the engine overnight several times. You should have looked me up, I'd like to meet you. Usually when the engine is parked overnight people are welcome to come up into the cab. The fire was banked twice during the trip, but otherwise I was on the engine at night save for one night when another guy was on it for whatever reason.
If you ever get another chance, look me up.

Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

Kevin Gilliam
Conductor

Postby Kevin Gilliam » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:21 am

Mark D wrote:Super great photo's, Kevin! I was there the whole time and on the engine overnight several times. You should have looked me up, I'd like to meet you. Usually when the engine is parked overnight people are welcome to come up into the cab. The fire was banked twice during the trip, but otherwise I was on the engine at night save for one night when another guy was on it for whatever reason.
If you ever get another chance, look me up.

Mark D.

I tried to find you at one point while you guys were building up steam in Breckenridge before the last trip, and whoever I talked to under the shade tree on the fireman's side didn't know who you were. Got up in the cab briefly at Davenport before the first public run. I have to say that's probably the cleanest and shiniest steam loco cab I've ever been in. Maybe next time.
Kevin

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:54 pm

Well, Kevin, I was the one up in the cab trying to build up steam while entertaining a steady stream of curious people. Had you gone around to the starboard side of the engine you would have seen a big aluminum stairway anchored to the 261 with people going up and down, into the cab and leaving the cab after their obligatory snapshot sitting in the engineers seat.
Sometimes I just had to catch up with the fire and made people move aside to give me room to swing the scoop a dozen times.
I got down from the cab about maybe twenty minutes before we left for the evening trip.
I had a great view of that well cared for depot. Was wishing I could get inside and see if it's as good inside as it is outside.
Some other day.
If that guy you were talking to didn't know who I was, he wasn't part of our crew, that's for certain. Might have been a car host or something like that. More likely just another railfan who wanted to see the beast just like everyone else. That's why we run it.
Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

Fitz
Conductor

Postby Fitz » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:01 pm

Great photos, Kevin, and thanks for sharing them. You are certainly getting around to all the steam operations! Speaking of that, come on out here to Oregon this weekend to catch 4449 running between Portland and Bend. Sorry you and Mark did not get together.

Return to “General Discussion”